Is it normal for a baby to get croup 5 times in one year

I have a 14 month old baby boy. Last winter he had croup twice. He has had it five times this winter. This does not seem normal to me. Our family doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it, but i am!!! Any advice or anyone else have a baby that gets croup this often?

smiley1979

Asked by smiley1979 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may have a low immune system. I know this isn't the same but when I was a child I used to get strep throat atleast 3 times a year. Every time the doctor would say my body is building up its own anti biotics to fight it. Maybe this is whats happening? If your really worried about it a second opinion never hurts.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Read this bk. I would think it is allergy related. No More Amoxicillin: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections Without Antibiotics by Mary Ann Ann Block
    Anonymous

• normal, no. possible, yes. I am one of those babies. You might really want to check with allergies like dust, mold and pollen, Croup is very tied to irritations in the throat and you will need to keep an eye on it even when he get older.
    comjen

Answer by comjen at 11:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would look closely at the foods in your home; you need to work to build up your child's immunity.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You can get croup from a few different viruses... it's more a term to describe symptoms. Croup in an adult would be laryngitis or any cold that affects your voice would cause croup symptoms in a child. The reason kids get croup is because their airways are so small causing the tell tale cough and strider.
    If your child goes to daycare or has older school aged siblings he's much more likely to be exposed to more germs... with time he will build his immune system and get sick less often.
    Having croup 7 times in his lifetime though does seem more than normal... I would ask the doctor to look at his airway... maybe it's more narrow than normal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• talk to your dr. about medication possibly interfering with the body's ability to heal itself. i know fever reducers can make viruses and other infections last longer.
    was your baby a preemie?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010