teaching children new things..

My 24 month old can say every word that I teach her, she knows her days of the week, how to walk, run, jump, splits, numbers to 13, and ABC's. I was wondering if ya'll had any idea's on new things I could teach her. I wanted to try to teach her to read, but she doesn't seem interested in actually putting the letter together yet, just reading to herself. (In jibberish).

lynenedubbels

Asked by lynenedubbels at 2:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One great resource for teaching toddlers is internet sites with worksheets, games, flashcards, etc. Many are geared toward preschools. Don't assume she is too young to learn about anything without giving it a try, my niece was really into learning about dinosaurs around her second birthday. You might teach her how to count in other languages, even if she never uses that ability it is helpful to language acquisition. Make "flashcards" of animals & the sounds they make. Teach her the names of flowers using pictures or the actual flowers if you have a lot growing in your area. How about shapes & colors?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• There is a book I used with my son when he was 3. I believe it was called "Weekly Curriculum". It has a lot of really fun things to do with children to teach them. We spent about half an hour a day working from the book. Orion LOVED it!

http://www.amazon.com/Weekly-Curriculum-Book-Complete-Themes/dp/0876592825/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214420638&sr=1-1
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• thank you, I'll check it out.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 3:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• She knows all the shapes I could think of...lol...it took awhile to think of a page full to draw for her, but she isn't so good with colors yet.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 3:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• she might understand "reading" if taught her to write her name, Have you taught her your phone number? Address? City? State? Your name? (Yes she know you are mommy, but does she know your "real" name?) Your hubby's name? Were you and he works? etc.

Those are good things for her to know, especially if something was to happen... Of course we don't want bad things to happen, but say she got lost at the store, if she knows your name, number, address, she'll be found faster...you know...

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Maybe you could teach her some Spanish or Sign Language?
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2008