Anyone tried that your baby can read program? I ordered it and I am kinda feeling like the program may be a bit more invovled than I thought. I work and go to school so I just dont have alot of time to work with her everday on this program and spend fun time with her too. however I would love for this program to help her succeed. Unsure on what to do???

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 10:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I 'd send it back it's just a scam to get your money.
    Anonymous

• I have it. Your supposed to let them watch the vid twice a day and go through the flash cards with them. So, I worked and my hubby was in basic when I got it, so just like you I didnt have alot of time. So whoever is watching your child can take care of the video part and when you put your kid to sleep do the flash cards. That way its broken up so you don't feel over whelmed. Even if you don't work on the flash cards every day your child still learns TONS of new words.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I don't feel it is good for children. teaches site reading, not phonics.
    Anonymous

• My sister has it and her daughter reads some of the words. I think its good. Any exposure to reading can never be harmful to children. It does teach sight word recognition and not phonics, but thats not a big deal. There are many words that children learn in school from sight as well as from phonics. A good reading program has to be built on both. So my review of it is good. I mean your children will be watching tv a some time, so why not let them watch something that will help them learn to read.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It is a big waste of money. If you want to give your child a head start on reading, then all you need to do is read to them everyday. Spend your time reading, playing, singing and talking. Part of the program is video watching. TONS of studies have shown that when babies and toddlers watch TV/video/dvd etc. they have a smaller vocabulary. the more screen time they have, the fewer words they know. Your baby needs to learn oral language first, then learn to read. Don't start using flash cards now and burn them out at a young age!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• it just teaches them to memorize words by doing and seeing. later in life it could cause her to be confused about reading. i looked into it bc i was wanting to do it for my child. i decided against it bc at that age even if they can "read" they can't comprehend more than a couple of words. maybe it'll work for you though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i almost bought it and my friend is having a huge sucess with it but I decided against it because yes it teaches site words and they tend to struggle later with actual phonics. They learn this stuff my learning what the word looks like and at this young age thats easy . I just researched online about it to make my decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think it's a waste of money. sure they may be "reading"....but they don't actually comprehend and retain what they're reading. the words are just that, words.
    I agree with most of the other opinions too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• From what I've read, it's not necessarily a good thing. They are not developmentally ready to learn to read that young so you will spend tons of time teaching them something that in 3-4 years will come much more quickly and naturally. That time would be better spent teaching them something they are developmentally ready for - shapes, colors, basic conversation, etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• return it

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2010