Bulging belly button??

My son is 11wks old & has a bulging belly button. It has always stuck out a little, but I mean it is actually bulgy now. I also notice it bulges more when he cries. I got very worried last night I just couldn't calm him down & it just kept bulging & it even turned slightly purple because of how bulgy it got. Is this something I should be concerned with? My mom thinks he's developing a hernia, but what do I do? Should I just wait until Monday to make an appointment with the doctor or should I be making a trip to the ER or what? I don't want to go & have them tell me it's normal, ya know? But it's worrying me.

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't need to take him to the ER, but I would take him in Monday. Until then, tape a quarter (25 cent coin) over his belly button and bind it in place. (Thin strips of cloth around his middle.) It may not be necessary, but if he is developing a hernia it will give some support to prevent further tearing of the muscles. It certainly won't hurt him and may help.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like an umbilical hernia. You do NOT need to do anything as long as you can poke it back in with your finger. You do not have to tape it down or bind it. The bulge is a bit of intestine poking through the hole in the muscle. As long as you can poke it back in, it is fine. This is very common and rarely a problem. My 6 month old has one that was huge and seemed to be getting bigger and bigger at the age your baby is. Now it is almost completely closed up. Check out http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/umbilical-hernia/DS00655 If you CAN'T poke it back in, then the blood supply could be cut off to the intestines and you should take him to the ER, but this is really rare!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I can poke it in, but he screams hysterically when I do & it has been turning purple-ish when he cries. Pain/discomfort & discoloration are both on the "when to seek medical advice" section of that site. I'm wondering if that means immediate attention (like ER) or if it means as soon as possible as in Monday. At least I know what it is now (I'm pretty sure that is it, it described it perfectly).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010