Im due in 3 days and my 2yr old has came down with a cold! What do I do?

Im due on Jan 5 and my son woke upthis morning with a runny nose and coughing. Well obviously colds last for about a week. So do I not allow him to even go to the hospital? Do I have to keep him out of the house for a week? Hes excited about his little sister and I would hate for him to have to stay away and not get to be there when his sister is born. Its a family moment. but I also dont want a sick newborn. So is it necessary to keep him away?

SamanaBM

Asked by SamanaBM at 11:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My hubby was sick when I was giving birth. He washed his hands and wore a mask. My baby didnt get sick and neither did I. I would try a mask and gloves, if he will wear it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Just be very careful! My sister had a cold when her baby was born, the doctor said he thinks she passed it onto him during birth. He was in the hospital with pnemounia at 3 days old for 2 weeks. I really wouldn't advise taking him to the hospital and they truthfully probably wouldn't allow him there if they knew he had a cold. 2 year olds don't wear masks. My daughter had to go to the doctor a few months ago with the whole H1N1 scare they tried to make her wear a mask, it lasted about 2 seconds every time I put in on so I finally gave up she just would not keep it on! And that was only about an hour! I know you don't want him left out but you don't your newborn in the hospital for 2 weeks either we were all so scared poor little guy was soooooo sick!
    taratt79

Answer by taratt79 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I gave my daughter a cold and she was fine. You probably have the germs yourself from being around your LO. Just BF.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Keep the older child as far away as possible (let him in the room for a few minutes but don't let him breathe on the baby) and breastfeeding is the best defense against it. Lots of handwashing for all, vitamins, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• As long as you're breastfeeding and you come into contact with the virus first, baby will not catch it. Your antibodies go to baby first. You might want to keep your toddler as far away as possible until your milk comes in but even with just colostrum, you should be fine.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You may not have a choice in whether the 2 year old is allowed in the hospital, You will have to check with your hopital in your state. Personally I wouldn't have the 2 year old around the newborn. You probably should take the 2 year old to your pediatrician to see exactly what is wrong. Is it a bacterial infection or a viral infection? If its bacterial and contagious then you definately don't want the 2 year old around a newborn. Check out your options before worrrying too much.
    Good Luck ...what a way to start out the New Year....Wishing you and your family the best
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Breastfeed and it really won't be that big of a worry. My son has been exposed to many colds and even the flu several times and still hasn't gotten any of it.

Really I'd suspect that baby that ended up with pneumonia in the hospital it was far more likely she/he got an infection then pneumonia from the HOSPITAL and HOSPITAL STAFF -- rather than a cold virus (not like the hospital would admit that!!). There are 10x worse things in a hospital than a simple cold virus. Trust me, both my son and I got a nasty staph infection from hosp. It took 3 different IV antibiotics and I ended up taking another 2 different courses of oral antibiotics before it finally cleared up.

You've been exposed to the cold already so you are producing antibodies in your colostrum already. I would not worry. Plus, you may not go for 2 weeks anyway, unless of course you have a doctor that weirdly doesn't believe in 42 weeks being term.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• By exposed, I mean either I or my DH had the cold/flu .. not passive exposure like a family friend or something .. He's had the flu twice and I've had several colds this year. NONE of which my son has gotten !! So your 2 y/o being ill with a cold is not even close to the amount of contact your baby would get especially with -you- if YOU get the cold which is actually fairly likely .. Think on that =p lol

And honestly if you get sick your likely not to go into labor until you are either healthy enough that it wouldn't be an issue or you are induced sick which is not ideal but you'd both likely be fine unless you got a hospital acquired infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• This is not to say I think anyone ill outside the family bubble should be granted access.. But normally inside a family "bubble" germ exposures with each other are so high -- even if you do not get literally sick feeling -- your body is certainly fighting those germs off (antibody creation).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2010