Postpartum depression?

Anyone dealing (or dealt) with postpartum depression? How did you know and what steps have you taken in treatment?

ristosmommy

Asked by ristosmommy at 11:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been suffering PPD pretty bad (my son is now 11wks). I have dealt with depression in the past, so I was pretty sure that was what was happening...it got to the point I didn't want much to do with my son, I hated looking at him while I fed him (especially while BFing - I slowly even gave that up because I would get so depressed while doing it), I cried daily, I wanted to just curl up in bed constantly but could barely sleep even when I was given time to do so, I became disinterested in things like sex & going out, etc. I brought it up at my 6wk appointment, but that doctor said that some women are just unhappy after birth & that I would learn to deal with it...so I saw another OB for my IUD appointment (@ 10wks post partum) & she prescribed Prozac & gave me a list of the local mental health clinics so I can make a follow-up appointment. It's only been a week, but I am glad I asked for help...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I went through it and just got through it about 8 months ago. I felt like I didn't want my baby and I was having some thoughts of hurting myself. I also had a lot of anxiety. My midwife prescribed me Zoloft and the depression went away quickly but the anxiety lasted about 4 months. It does go away though! I promise! My daughter is my world :) I also talked to a counsilor once a week. Please feel free to email me if you want to talk. Kaitlyn.altman@gmail.com
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Thanks so much for the feedback. I feel very similar at times (feeling as though I don't want anything to do with my baby). My son is my world. I love him to death but things seem to just get overwhelming at times. I have a history of depression as well, it's been a while, and the hopelessness of "when will it end again" can drive me crazy. And the guilt I put upon myself for having these feelings of not wanting anything to do with my son. It seems worse when I am fighting with my partner, but I wonder if that is the effect of the depression rather than the cause... my doctor prescribed me zoloft but I've been putting it off as a last resort. Sounds like it may be worth it. i'd love to hear how others are doing on meds. Thanks again for the input. It's good to know I'm not the only one!!!! And that I am not a bad mother for it :)
    ristosmommy

Answer by ristosmommy at 12:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You're definately NOT a bad mother =) I would highly recommend to you to start taking to zoloft, you will feel so much better! And when you and your partner are fighting it will even out your emotions. I begged my husband not to argue with me because it made me feel so horrible so he didn't. But the zoloft just helped even out everything. I wasn't a zombie at all I just didn't go through all the highs and lows. It started working pretty quickly too. You can also take it while your breast feeding too...if you still are. My midwife actually told me to consider stop breast feeding because she said that would help my hormones start getting back to normal faster. But that part is totally up to you =) it WILL end though!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010