What would be a good inside dog we could get that would be good with small children?

I have a 4 yr old and another due in 5 weeks so I want a dog that'd be good with kids so probably not a chihuahua...I've always wanted a weenie dog but I've heard they are really stubborn. Anyone have any suggestions on a good breed of dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Weiner dogs are nippy and aren't too fond of littler kids but do okay with older kids. I have a beagle and a corgi jack russel mix. They are both house dogs, under 20lbs,low maintainence, Beagle needs a little extra attention, but gets to play a lot with my other puppy. My mixed dog is a huge love and will sleep with my kids.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I grew up with a Shitzu (sp?).... Toby was the BEST dog ever, we got him when i was 18 mo. he passed away when I was 16.

was a great watch dog, playful, protective, and was very obedient. even in old age never snapped... but I think it has more to do with the owners than the breed. I am looking at getting a fur baby soon, I lost mine almost a year ago- she was very aged and had to be put down, so did my mums dog, on dec 23... man, I miss my babies.
    thinking about a small breed myself, and I have 3 kids, 8, 4 & 2.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We have a pug. She absolutely adores everyone! Definitely not a guard dog!
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 11:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with shitzu. They are very friendly and cuddly, but a little hard to potty train I think. We have a boxer and he is great with our kids and trained really easily. He does great indoors, but I figure you are looking for a smaller dog.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'd wait till your wee one is older...babies need enough care without throwing a puppy into the mix!
    Anonymous

• I didn't realize you were having another baby soon! I guess I didn't read it to well! Have ever had a dog? That's a lot of work. You will be cleaning up messes, puppies chew things, and who will clean the poop up outside? And small dogs still need walks. We can't go anywhere overnight or they will ruin my house, if we lock them up they don't eat. Make sure you have $$$. I just paid $175 to get my puppy neutered, and a $200 vet bill for kennel cough even though I paid for the vaccinations to prevent it. They are a lot of work. I'm sorry for lecturing, but I wonder if you shouldn't wait until after baby is bigger and you are more in the swing of things with two kids.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with waiting till you have time to devote to a puppy they are like having a newborn all over again, but when you do decide research each breed and even visit people who own those breeds to see how you feel about them. We have had a basset hound for 3 1/2 years now, my daughter got him for her 2nd birthday and he has been the BEST dog ever, he loves my daughter to pieces and everyone else too, he gets along with my cats. When we first got him he and our kitten would sleep together it was so sweet.

we recently got a mexican hairless chihuahua mix, I have never liked chihuahua's i always thought of them as mean dogs but this one changed my mind, she is now 8 months old and loves to visit the daycare where i got her, my friend runs a daycare and it was her dog and the kids there love my chi and she is very tolerant of them and normally runs to my neighbors house if she gets out of my yard to play with the kids.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Working as a Vet Tech for almost 7 years now, I personally think most of the little dogs can be nippy. Of course all dogs can be but it seems the smaller the dog the better change of a nipper. I PROUDLY have 2 female Labs that are both inside dogs and great with kids. I have a baby due in March and have no worries about them with the baby. Just research breeds before you jump into anything and good luck.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• OP- I've had dogs before. I have a border collie that stays at my dads house and I love her to death but my dad wants her to stay there bc he has a Jack Russell and he'd be heart broken if she left. I haven't had an actual dog at my house in about a year and a half bc we moved into an apartment in town when my mom passed away (I lived right across the rd from tem out in the country) and can't have pets and there's really no room but we bought a house so I'll have room for one now. We always had a dog growing up but not small dogs, just bigger outside dogs. We had a white pitbull my parets got before I was born and she died when I was 12 andshe was the best dog we ever had.
    I may consider a Shitzu bc my great aunt has one that goes everywhere with her an he's really sweet and has ever been nippy with my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• A corgi is a good choice, They are not small enough to be nippy due to fear of being stepped by the kids, but they are also not big enough to knock the children down by jumping up on them. They are easy to train and they housebreak easily. Especially if you use a crate. They don't bark a lot, but will tell you if somebody unfamiliar comes onto the property. When they do bark, they have a deep voice that sounds like a much larger dog, not at all yippy. If you have a largeish size yard, they will get enough exercize being let out to run 3-4 times a day, but they are always happy to go on a walk too. They are playful and amiable, friendly but not pushy or dominating.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2010