someone tried breaking in my house last night im so freaked any advice?

so it was about midnight my hubby and i were wathing a movie downstairs with the lights off, we paused the move so i could go potty and hubby went upstairs to check on the kids . i come out of the bathroom and was next to the front door when i seen the handle move(the dead bolt was locked) then a loud hard pound to the door i freaked and started screaming and i seen a tall shadow run, so i called 911 and come to find out that we werent the first. that in the past 2 weeks the had 15 home evasions that begin with either knocking at the door and gaining entry or if they think no one is home or all is a sleep they break in. and there have been reports that they carry guns. im in a town of 12,000 people where everyone knows everyone these things dont happen, cops think the ones here are related to the ones in a near by city. im so freaked and now my kids are freaked cause any noise scares me and im always looking out the windows

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I say an alarm system......AND keeping a portable stereo near the front door........and with a LARGE DOG OR DOGS barking on it with growling!!!!!!!! Make the volume loud so when you hear the noise......call for your dog.....and speak german commands if you can learn a few.....like " Watch the doors" or WHO IS IT BOY?

I had curtains over my windows, so NO one can SEE in at night. And several times I had people come to my door ( I lived about 150 feet off the main road but had neighbors next to me. I always pretended to have other people there......AND used other voices....and do a mans deep voice when I can......but I use my voice and say,"BILLY BOY....GET YOUR 6 FOOT 8 350 POUND ASS IN HERE AND GET THE DOOR, WE'RE TRYING TO PLAY CARDS HERE." I never answered the door even with a spy hole.

I'd ask "What do you want.....etc thru te door. You do NOT have to open the door to anyone! But act like you are not alone!!!
    Anonymous

• Sorry I have to say this a home evasion would be someone avoiding your house, I think you are referring to a home invasion. Yes those things are frightening. I've been attacked before. I had to live my life. I can't live my life in constant fear, it would control my entire life. Be thankful you are okay. I know it feels so shitty for someone to violate your safety and space like that. Work through it. It get's easier with time.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My house has been broken in to 5 times on a military base and im married to a mil cop. I got exrta locks on my windows and got a gun and learned how to use it. now i carry it daily.
    but if you are against guns just make sure the doors are locked try to get a alarm but most of the time people dont go back to the same house.

but good luck with everything, i understand how you feel and im sorry it happened to you
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You need to not let the kids see you like that. At least let them feel safe. Just make sure when you go to sleep everything is locked up tight and you have a cell phone and flashlights near your bed just in case. You can always look into getting an alarm system if that would make you feel safer....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• why is this under just for fun? Just wondering. How about getting an alarm installed monday morning? Most companies have no installation fees and you can get one for about 20 a month. Good Luck. I would probably get motion lights for the outside.
    Anonymous

• op here
    sorry about the typo normally i would catch those and i didnt know where else to post
    Anonymous

• op here

that what gets me is both cars were in the drive and both outside lights were on (we keep all out side lights on the front and the back since my car got broken into) we had all the curtains closed we just have this decorative half circle glass on the tops side of the door. and second thing that gets me is even though the properties are fairly new no one here has much money its all section 8 housing projects. so if they did get in over here they wouldnt be gaining anything of value from anyone. so it may be someone who isnt from here cause those who are calls us ghetto fabulous white trash cause of our neighborhood and most of us here are welfare babies, we arent anymore, but most of the people here are on SSI or are single moms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That is so scary.

My husband caught someone trying to break into our home. We have two dogs now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• They might be after your cars...looking to break in while you are there so they can get the car keys...it's a common thing where I work....

Even if you just get an audible alarm system that goes off if anyone opens a door or window then at least you'll have that as peace of mind. Make sure you have lots of lights outside (motion lights work well to keep away bad guys), have nowhere for anyone to conceal themselves around the perimeter of your house at night and keep everything locked all the time. Don't keep purses/carkeys near the doors or in the "usual" places. You can also ask your local PD for more patrols in your area due to the recent problems...hopefully they are already doing that though!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2010