Can two people who have very different views on religion ever really have a good relationship?

This guy, who is kinda my boyfriend, told me today he was going back to church. That's fine for him, but when we met he was very adament about not going. His dad is a pastor and I think that his family is pushing him to go and finally convinced him. I don't believe in any religion or any god. I grew up Catholic and had it pounded in my head. I just don't know if this is going to cause problems down the road. I don't care what he does or believes in when it comes to religion. I just don't know if he'll ever except that I don't believe in it-and I know his family won't either.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My dh is atheist and I am christian and it has never caused strife because we respect each others beliefs. I don't push mine aand he doesn't push his. We have been together 14 years.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think you are making it a problem. . I have several meaningful friendships with all types of people and religions. My inlaws are Catholic and they don't seem to have a problem with us or others. We are very close.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I've never met his parents, but from what I understand, the want him to be with someone who's religious. They dont' like that I wasn't married when I had my son or that I don't go to church.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• hubby & i have differing views when it comes to religion. but other than a few debates that end with "lets agree to disagree", we have a strong and healthy relationship. it can only cause problems if YOU (or he) has a problem with it. unless he has pushy parents that might try to convert you.. but lets hope that's not the case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• it can be done but isnt always easy esp if you 2 decide to have kids together then its one wanting baptism and conformation, i grew up catholic also and not sure if other churches have similar thing, my experience in the catholic church was not good so im not 'religious"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My cousin and her husband have been married for 22 years. My cousin is a christian and her husband is muslim. It works well because they both respect each others religion. She has been to events with him at his "church" and so forth. As far as their children who are now 22 and 15, they let them decide. When they were younger the children kind of did both. Some Sundays they went to church with their mom and if they wanted to they went to the mosque with their dad on Fridays. As they got older she did let them decide. The daughter who is 22 is very much a chrisitan and the son who is 15 has taken on the muslim faith. They have the happiest home ever. And they all support each other.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My DH is Atheist and I am Pagan. We have never had a problem with it.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 1:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2010