How do I discipline a 15 month old?

I have a 15 month old baby girl and she is starting to know how to push her limits and I don't know how to discipline her. She throws temper tantrums when she wants put down or when she wants something she can't have. If I tell her don't touch something she will touch it one more time and give me a look like she knows what shes doing. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, try asking her nicely...make sure you use your "pleases" and "thank yous" when asking her to do something. Reserve "No" for particularly harmful circumstances and make sure you pick your battles. She is still very young and at this age, it is less about being manipulative or purposefully misbehaving and more about not being able to control impulses and social experimentation. Start with a couple of rules that are particularly important and slowly build from there (like "dogs are not for kicking" or "you always hold mommy's hand when crossing the street" or "outside things stay outside"). Be very consistent about reminding her of the rule ahead of time (when appropriate) and be consistent about how you enforce the rule. Try to throw a positive twist in there when you can (i.e. "Dogs are not for kicking, they're for petting"...then show her how to pet nicely). I've found that the more positive I am, the bette
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Don't be her audience for any temper tantrum. Leave the room. Tell her nicely, once what you expect out of her. If she insists on having a temper tantrum , she can have it by herself. If she has it by herself it won't last long.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Do you do time outs at all? That is what we did with our son and he never throws temper tantrums. You have to be strict and set clear boundaries.
    Anonymous

• we just started time outs, my son is 13 months. You can do it for 1 minute, but we only use 30 seconds right now. He did the same thing though, he will get at least one finger on something hes not supposed to then stand there and wait for us to give him attention. Now our attention is taking him away and sitting him down for 30 seconds. Our only problem is he wont sit alone so we have to hold him down, not forcefully, just enough so he knows not to get up. Hes getting better about that though. So far its working for us.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is at the same age doiing the same things. She goes as far as she possibly can, What works best for us is the count down. You simply start at 3, say it with great meaning, ask her to please stop what she is doing and more away from the situation! Dont ever let aomeone tell you babys are dumb cuz there so not. next move on to 2, say it as meaning full at you said three, and ask her again, I tend to ask in a deffrent way each time. next is 1! just as tyou did the last two nubers be clear and stand your ground. One you hit one remove the objet from her or her from the object and give her i nice little pop on the behind. make sure you cup your hand so it makes a really loud sound but dosent hurt her! ( Now im not telling you to beat you kid!!!) If her choice is to scream and cry then so be it. Make sure that every one aournd you know what you are trying to do , she needs to fail a few times. soon "3" will do it!Mail me
    DaemonicMommy

Answer by DaemonicMommy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have a 16 month old who loves to test boundaries too! I read somewhere a long time ago that you shouldn't say "don't ____" because they don't understand "don't" - they just hear the end (don't TOUCH, don't RUN, don't CLIMB...you get the idea). I dont' know if this is true or not, but I try to say "no hitting" or "no touching" - not that he listens that well anyway, but I try!! They WILL test boundaries and if you don't set strict boundaries, you will be in trouble later. I agree with PP - a little pop on the back side never hurt anyone, but they get the idea that you mean business. Be sure to remove them from whatever they were doing so they understand the meaning of the swat. Most important of ANYTHING......BE CONSISTENT!!!!! If you let her get away with something once, she will forever think she can manipulate you!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2010