My 15 month old sleeps with her blanket over her face. Is this safe?

My 15 month old loves to put her favorite blankie over her face when she sleeps. Its definitely a comfort thing. Is this safe? I go in her room at night sometimes and take it off her face but she just puts it back when she moves around throughout the night. It seems safe but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughters do the same thing!! i havnt had any problems with it and when it use to make me nervos i would move it and they would 2 put it back so i think its is fine and perfectly normal!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• my 3 month old does the same thing lol both my other kids did too lol
    moodywife

Answer by moodywife at 1:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter used to do the same thing it made me a nervous wreck so I finally started putting her to bed with a receiving blanket. She still did the same thing but it wasnt as heavy as her normal blankets
    Abbysmommy0208

Answer by Abbysmommy0208 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• this is perfectly normal for a child to carry out this behaviour with comforter blankets.i have looked after many children in nursery (daycare) who have did this and my own children do this also.the simple reason being that the smell from the blanket may remind them of a parent or may just be the fact that it is "comforting".your child is at an age where she has the ability to remove the blanket from her face when needs be so suffocation will not occur.just keep checking on her every so often.normally if you were to move it away from the face they will put it straight back but checking on her will not be the worst thing.
    glasgowmummy

Answer by glasgowmummy at 6:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• this is verry normal and its a developmental stage..............they will stop when they are ready. some people never do. but dont worry as others have said they can move it if they need to. it is safe.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We received a homemade afghan with big spaces between the stitches for a baby shower gift... our 16 month old does this also, but we don't worry because there are plenty of breathing holes :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• lol I've been doing that since i was 6 months old. I still do, I'm just glad my baby doesn't do it. though i turned out fine. =) I think she'll be ok, just move it when you check on her.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2010