I have a question for other Christians..................

My husband and I have been meeting with our Pastor for Bible studies and one thing we have discussed occasionally is the medicine I take for bipolar disorder. The Pastor feels that any medicine of this type is unnecessary and that a person should rely on God for healing. I don't see anything wrong with my medicine. Is it possible that God has provided help with a medicine that for me is very effective? I mean, why would God give us the ability to learn how our brains work if treating them in this way is wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If the meds you are on are working for you, then I would suggest that you stay on them. Sickness, illness...it's a result of "the fall". I firmly believe that God heals and that God answers prayers, but I also firmly believe that the answers may come as a yes, no, or wait. I think it's entirely probable that God wants you to learn something from this experience. The pastor is a fallible man...he may have his own presuppositions regarding your bipolar disorder, more than presuppositions about medication and God healing. If the subject can't be avoided, I'd suggest a new church. I would also be upfront with him about that.
    spiritofstupor

Answer by spiritofstupor at 7:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Please find another church. That is the same type of thinking that will have you not seeking help for a diabetic baby. :*(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Telling you to not take a needed medication sounds like a cult to me. Find another church asap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• When are people going to realize that there are some things that need medication. Bi-polar is definately something that needs medication. Don't go off your meds that is dangerous to your health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree with everyone else and I am not christian. But i hope since i am not christian my opinion will still matter. anywho yeah they are right. A member of the church as no medical experience to tell you to get off your meds.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It depends on your faith. Before I was saved, I was extremely manic. Then I got healed by Jesus and I dont have any episodes anymore. Its about your relationship with Him. Now, if you don't have a strong faith, and a willing heart then please stay on your meds. lol.. you could get worse if you don't. This is my opinion.. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• While I FULLY believe in Gods ultimate healing I also believe that he gives us wisdom, I am on medication for my asthma and have tired in faith to go with out it, this only put me into the hospital.. I believe that God gives Drs wisdom and medication for those who need it..God isn't going to love you any less for taking medications, he just wants you to be happy and healthy.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• omg don't even listen to that seriously. it does not matter how much love you give to god or how strong your bond is with him. Like I said i don't believe in him but am not against others that do. But please don't put your health in " gods " hands. Leave them in your doctors hands, they know what they are doing. They can talk to you about it, " god " cannot. " God " does not heal you. You can heal yourself with the help of your meds.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Religious leaders like that are what give Christianity a bad name. Do not quit taking your medication unless you and your Dr. decide that is the best plan for you.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Anon 26, sounds like you should go back on your meds. Strong faith? Willing heart? What in the heck are you talking about. There are preachers who HAVE to take medication for all sorts of reasons. People like you anon 26 worry me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2010