The birds and the bees??? HELP!!! (NO BASHING)

Ok, my son just turned 8. I'm am due to have my 3rd child at the end of February. I wanted to take this oppertunity to explain to my son how babies are created and where they come from (its my son and my decision, an I think he is old enough to hear this). HOWEVER...I'm completely scared and haven't figured out how to explain it to him without "petrifying" him. He's not going to be in the room during the birth but I want him to know the absolute (maybe not all the gory details) truth about sex and boys and girls before he hears the other crap from "know-it-alls" at school.

How old were your child/ren and how did you explain this to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think 8 years is too young to know that much.

Anyway
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Seriously, there's a difference between letting your kid know the differences of boys and girls and explaining sex to them. He's not going to understand what your say and if he does he'll probably turn out to be a perv.

And what eight year old is a know it all at school?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I let my kids ask questions and DH and i based how and what we told them on the questions asked, this worked great with my then 10 y/o he had alot of questions and they covered alot of what we wanted to talk to him about. with our 8 y/o we did the same thing, asked him how much he knew about babies and if he had questions. We kept it very scientific which seem to put both our boys at ease and we continue to talk to them as new subjects and questions come up, each time we give a little more detail thats appropriate for their matuirty level.

My boys were 3 and 6 when my youngest was born and my oldest woke up while i was in labor and saw me give birth so he has known a little more than i would have liked to share at the time lol but he did really well, he was more interested in how my body worked then how the baby got there . It was a unexpected situation not the way i would have picked for him to learn about labor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• POSTER HERE:

I think that is a good way to go about it. I will keep that in mind about letting him ask the questions. I may just give him the basics and let him ask from there. My son is very very intelligent and I really dont think 8 is too young to know some of the scientifics. I was trying to figure out just exactly how detailed to go and if I should show him a diagram or anything like that. Any one else got suggestions???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Did you get the book from childbirth class or your doctor that shows the development at each stage of pregnancy of the baby? my son LOVED that book (he is very intelligent also and can grasp things average kids cant) I would also check at the library or look online, there is lots of really good information that keeps it scientific and then if he has questions you can go from there. My oldest didnt start asking the hard questions until he started 6th grade, then i was flooded with things i wasnt ready for lol but apparently he was.
    My rule is this , if they are old enough to ask they are old enough to know. 8 is not too young and he will not be a "perv" as previously suggested.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my second baby my oldest was seven. He was very curius and asked a million questions. We bought him the book "Where do I come from". It is a detailed book, but funny and age appropriate. There was a part of the book my guy was too embarrassed to read, so we skipped that part. Then we left the book in his room for him to look over himself when he was ready.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Take a deep breath. It is ok to be uncomfortable and it is ok to let your son know how you feel and that you are not letting your discomfort stop you.

Start by asking him what he knows, and what he would like to know.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2010