$320.00 light bill!!!

How much is yours? What can I do to reduce it?!? I have a 2.5 year old who doesn't cover himself up at night if he gets cold so I keep the heat to about 72 so he doesn't get too cold and sick. What else can I do?!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I honestly don't know how to get the light bill down but mine is the same way..mine this mth was a little over 350!!! But in summer its only like 60 or 70 bucks. The best thing i can suggest is making sure your son is wearing really warm pajamas and socks. So if he does un cover himself he wont get too cold. Just turn the heat down to like 68 or something. I turn mine down at night seeing how we will all be under the covers and when we wake up i turn it up. I live in a really old trailer so i can't keep the heat in my house at all, but it might help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• it is probably higher if you are having colder weather, the heater works overtime to keep up. I make sure we turn lights off during the day, run the washer and dishwasher later at night, also at night i only use lights i have to use and i switched all our bulbs to the energy saving bulbs. One thing my friend who is an electrician also told me was that you use more power constantly turning a light on and off then if you just leave it on, so at night we use one light in our kitchen that lights a good portion of the living room instead of turning on the livingroom and kitchen lights and it keeps us from turning the kitchen light on and off all night. I also leave a hall light on that lights the bedrooms and bathroom so the kids can just grab something if they need it and walk back out and they only turn the light on if they are staying in the room.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Also check and see if they have equal payemnt plans so that your winter bills are spread out over the year and you have a set amount each month and know what it will be, this has worked great for me so i can budget everything properly each month. They take you yearly average and spread it out over 12 months, it makes things so much easier especially during the months when you bills is 3 times what it is the rest of the year.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Call your local Community Action Agency, or your local Economic Opportunity Committee. If you are not sure if there are agencies such as these in your area, call your Department of Human Services office and ask if they have contact information for these agencies. There are weatherization programs that replace inefficient furnaces and hot water heaters, and which assist in weatherizing homes. I contacted my local office in Michigan, and we received (at no charge) a new furnace, hot water heater, fridge, smoke detectors, light bulbs, carbon monoxide detectors, and lots more. Plus they offered a class in which I learned other ways to conserve energy and reduce my bills. I'm not online very often, but if you need more info, send me a message and let me know.
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 1:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Get your son some footie pajamas. My DD wears them and she doesn't need the heater at all. It gets down in the 20s here at night too, and the only heater we turn on is the one in the main bathroom.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My electric bill is about $120 and my gas bill is about $160. It's winter in Ohio.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I don't know what to say because our Water and Power is cheap. Power is $40-50 a month. I never leave the lights on if i dont need it. I open all curtains, i use the over head stove light to cook. Our power also is our heater/stove use and its not a lot. so yea around 50-60 a month in the winter and 40-50 in summer and other months. Our heaters are new and do not waste too much electricity. also our stove is not gas but electric. I only wash 2 times a week and use cold water to wash clothes, wash hands and wash dishes. Never the dish washer.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• sorry forgot to say we are in tacoma, wa and it doesnt get that cold here. I turn the heaters on in our rooms and turn if off after its warm and never once turn it back on. My kids don't like a lot of blankets. they are the opposite! socks and pjs are okay. They are wearing t shirts and shorts right now and sleeping lol. its 45F outside, but i dont know the temp in our house.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That is my average bill during the winter, but mine is gas. There were a few months last year they were closer to $400. But my eletric bill is around $150 on top of that. But most places do offer the budget program like 3 ring said. It is a fixed amount for 12 months, if you use less they adjust the bill and lower it according to your usage after 6 months. I think HUD offers a program that will help you if you fall into the income bracket.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Keeping your heat to 72 is inefficient in winter. Your furnace keeps running and losing heat. Set it to 68 at the highest. Don't use the dishwasher. Shut off the tv for most of the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010