Why won't my 2yr old stay in his own bed all night?

My youngest son just turned 2 Dec. 26th, and refuses to sleep in his bed all night BUT I just recently switched his bed. His brother and him now have a twin- twin bunk bed. But The mattress is not uncomfortable- I slept in the bed with him a few nights ago. But every night around 4am he wakes up and comes and sleeps in my bed. But before he'd sleep in his bed all night, no problem. What is the deal now? Did my switching the beds out done this? Is it something more? Something I should be worried about?

Mommy_angels_Zs

Asked by Mommy_angels_Zs at 1:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If putting him back doesn't pan out for you, let him sleep with a blanket and pillow on the floor in your room. If you don't make the floor too comfortable, he'll do it for a few nights and realize he's much more comfortable in his own bed. You can also try doing a "social story" with him before bed. If you're not familiar with this, all it entails is you making up a story about a little boy his age with his name and you talk about his day. Talk about the things that he does during the day and then focus on the night time routine: having supper, a bath, putting pjs on, brushing teeth, reading a story, and going to bed and sleeping there all night until it's time to wake up in the morning.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• He does it because you allow him to come sleep with you. If you put him back to bed and tell him he can't sleep with you he will eventually stop and sleep in his bed.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Just return him to his bed every night. It won't take him long to get the message that he needs to sleep in his own bed.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• 4am doesn't sound that bad. Do whatever you are comfortable with but I will tell you what we do. We have a rule for our 4 year old. She can get in bed with us in the middle of the night only if she doesn't make a bunch of noise and she has to lay down at the foot of the bed. He may just want some extra comfort. :-) This will pass.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010