My son needs to get out more!

My son turned five in late October so he hasn't started kindergarten yet, but I have been homeschooling him. I am starting to feel the need to socialize him more. We only have one car, we can't afford another one, and my husband takes that car to work every weekday leaving in the morning and getting home about 7:00pm just in time for dinner. The kids and I are home alone all day and can't go anywhere, there is nowhere even to walk to from our home. My husband works too far away for me to be able to take him to work everyday so we can have the car. There is so much more I want to do with my kids. I want to take them to neat places and get them around other children more often (they do play with other kids at church and when we get together with friends, but I think they need more, especially my son who is the oldest). How can I socialize my son when I'm stuck at home with no car except for the evenings and weekends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Public School!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• She said socialize not socialist.

Try the public library. Our libraries have evening story time. He's old enough for cub scouts, which usually meets in the evenings or on the weekends. If they did need to meet when you didn't have the car you could probably get one of the other moms to pick up your son.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 1:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree that kids need socialization. Do they have public transportation where you live? Cub scouts is a great idea, and maybe another mom could help you out by picking the child up for the meetings? BUT it is very important that you are also involved in his meetings, attend every meeting that you can. To many people just drop the kids off at clubs like this. Good luck.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Our library isn't open in the evenings. I will look into cub scouts though. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Me again. He is not eligible for cub scouts until he is 7. He can't attend kindergarten at the schools around here (public or private) until this fall. We can't afford a private preschool and even if we could with one car I could never get him there. There is a public school half day preschool on the other side of town, but they don't use the buses for them so I would have to drive him which I can't do. I plan to sign him up for t-ball but that doesn't even start until this fall. I could just cry, I want to do so much for him and I am so restricted. I teach him a lot, he is a very bright boy, but I just wish we could get out there and expand his horizons more often than just the weekends and holidays/vacations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You should hook up with another mom that you can plan play dates with and then you all can get together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Have you checked into bowling leagues for kids his age? That is always something young boys like to do. Do you have a family member that would let you borrow their car so you can take him to places like the musuem or places like that?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You can seek online for another mom in your situation in your area. Hopefully she will have a car and be able to come over and have play dates with your child. good luck
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• too bad you're not in Jacksonville NC......my son turns five in February and I'm in the same boat with him...I do have a car...however I go to school full time and its super hard to find people (which i dont know many with children his age...just babies) that I can have him socialize with.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010