Bottle breaking?!!

Okay so apparently according to my inlaws I am a horrible mother or so it seems. My daughter is 23 months old and is still on the bottle but ONLY for milk she will drink anything and everything out of a cup EXCEPT milk. She will gag and spit it out as soon as she taste the mild but in a bottle she drinks it with no problem. I am criticized because she is almost 2 and is still on the bottle and not potty trained. We bought her a potty and she is totally not interested I have tried to show her and put her on it constantly and she would rather sit on the edge of the seat with her feet in it or stand on it rather than go potty on it. Every family function over the holidays something has come up about it and then it is thrown in my face about how the other kids were off the bottle and potty trained by 1yrs old and so on. Am I just a horrible mother or is she just not ready?? Someone help me before i loose it with these people!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you can make it fun to her to drink milk out of her cup, put chocolate milk in it and then switch it off back and forth with regular milk. But on the potty training thing, more then likely she will be ready when she is around 2 1/2. That is a normal age for them to be potty trained. Each kid is different though, and I remember my son was scared to poop in the potty.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Well the bottle issue is bad for teeth, kids don't usually potty train until 3 if she is interested earlier great. My DD is 19 months and shows indications of needing to start potty training. The bottle thing give her milk in a cup and throw out the bottles. She will drink it out of a cup or not at all don't worry that tantrum will last maybe a week, in the meantime supplement with pediasure. Good luck and don't listen to overbearing know it all family.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Well I tried doing the chocolate milk thing and she won't drink it. Of course she isn't real crazy about sweets anyway she won't drink juices that are really sweet, eat ice cream, cake she is SOOOO picky!! I have literally bought 7 different cups trying different ones and trying whole milk, 2%, fat free I mean I have tried and NOTHING is working and OOOoo how I would LOVE not having to wash bottles anymore!! LOL Thank you for the advice I am just so frustrated with having to hear about how my husbands neices and nephews were off the bottle at 9 months old and potty trained at 10 and 11 months old. I don't believe it myself but whatever!! I appreciate your help and opinion!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yes I know how bad it is for her teeth that sits on the back of my brain especially since before I had her I worked in the dental field with kids so I have seen it 1st hand and I DO NOT want my daughter to go through what they have gone through. We went out of town for the weekend and I forgot her bottles and we were in a little town where the nearest walmart was about 45min away and I REFUSED to drive to walmart and buy bottles for the weekend and it was miserable she finally got to the point she wouldn't drink anything!! Absolutely NOTHING!! I was going insane and I thought O well by the time we get home she will not even want it .. I was wrong as ever she got in the door and was at the refrigerator with the door open and bottle in hand!! I am about to the point of doing that though because I have tried the pediasure and its about like doing the chocolate and strawberry milk thing she wont drink it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think they are full of poop about them being potty trained at 10 or 11 months old. I have been around alot of kids that age and never seen one that was potty trained at that age! Maybe the milk in the bottle is a security thing for her, like a blanket or toy for another child? If you have tried the chocolate milk or other milks have you tried rewarding her for drinking it out of a cup? What is a game she really loves to do with you? Maybe you can put shaving cream on the kitchen table and let her play in it if she drinks from the cup? My son loved to do this at her age, it is easy to clean up too :)
    You just need to find a way that she will give it up, kids that age can be hard headed..LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That is what I have been thinking because she was off the paci when she was bout 7 months old I guess she just one day didn't want it. She has a blanket but nothing she can't live without when she doesn't have it or anything that is the only thing she HAS so have. I will try the shaving cream thing. I think I am just going to call her pedi and see if there is some kind of vitamin or something i can give her to sub for the vitamins she isn't getting from not drinking the milk. And if she can give me a positive answer on that then we are just going to toss them and leave it be. And YES she is SUPER hard headed and STUBBORN like no other!! I tell her she has her daddy's temper and it doesn't help she is the youngest so she is the "baby" and everyone caters to her and she is the "little princess" she may be little but she knows what they are saying and she plays them for a fool!!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• There is vitamins but I can't think of the name off the top of my head. Your local drug store could tell you, as I am sure they sell them. But honestly to me, it sounds like it is her security item. If she just drinks from it once a day, I honestly don't see the problem with it. It will be a fight with her if this is the case. Kids this age do have security items, my nephew HAS to have a blankey to go to sleep. She is a normal little girl by the sounds of it. :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• She is a little old for a bottle. But too young to be fully potty trained.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I would try a coffee stir stick. The kind that are double barrel hollow. It is like a really tiny straw. She will get just a little milk at a time, she is sucking on it, just as a bottle, but it doesn't have the negativity to it. It is also the first step in getting her off the bottle. Once she gets use to it, move onto a larger straw and see how that works, then to a big straw, like McDonalds straws. Those suckers are huge.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• don't let your child get the best of you....take away all the bottles and give her the sippy cup...period......she'll drink it because you're not offering a substitute....as long as she knows you'll give her the milk in a bottle she's gonna refuse the cup. Potty training is hard,, but if you start using pullups to get her in the right phase it will come to her when she's ready. But the bottle thing, she's just refusing because she knows you'll give in....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2010