Are your tweens this observant?

SS (11) just told me, "you've got bags under your eyes. They're big. There's like two under each eye." I'm not sure how to take that. one...lol

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 2:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kids this age are honest for some damn reason. They notice things more often then don't. Damn them..LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• They see and say what they think because they don't know it is offensive. Politely tell him that you appreciate his observant but that it is a sore subject and use it as a learning experience is things you should and shouldn't tell people even if it is true. Don't get mad and yell and flip about it, I remember pointing out my mom's stretchmarks and she flipped out screamed at me and grounded me. I didn't know better, so just teach him some etiquette.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• LOL yes. Mine used to comment on my weight. My middle child (who is 11) is big for his age (not fat but BIG). He's almost 5'7" (taller than me by 1"), and he weighs 140 lbs. I have recently lost weight and went from 208 to 168 lbs. Before this, he would always say "oh you're still bigger than me!" when I would say "okay its not snack time" or something like that. He wasn't trying to be rude but yes they are VERY observant lol. As are younger kids but younger ones have NO sense of when to say something. Example, we were shopping in a busy store. My DD was 4 at the time. A very large lady walked past us. DD says at the top of her voice "Wow mom that lady was FAT! Maybe she ate too much!" Wow I wanted to die. I have been teaching them about how you don't talk about a womans weight or anything you might see physically wrong with someone else because it might hurt their feelings. It seems to work.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think my husband was more upset by the remark. I looked at SS and said, "yeah, its because I don't sleep with two babies around." and sort of gave him a duh look. then told him to go to his room if he was going to keep bouncing around....he had been bouncing around the living room and I was trying to get DS (4 months) to settle down and I told SS to chill out, which was when he stopped and looked at me and pointed out my baggy eyes.

PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 2:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My son was that way when he was a tween. He informed me that he didnt want to be seen with me cause I was so fat. But ya know what? I was. I had reahed 225 lbs. The biggest I had ever been. There was no decent reason for me to be that big and if he haddnt been so honet, I would still be that big. He is 15 now and still brutily honest but a little bit more compasionate about it. The reality is, If he hadnt said anything I would still be in my fantasy world of 130lbs as I saw myself. My son saved my life with what most would think is innapropriate.
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 5:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• LOL. Mine is. She can tell if I've had enough sleep by the dark circles under my eyes.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Oh yes! Especially the girls.....they notice EVERYTHING! LOL
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010