Adoptees - 2010 is a census year. How will you answer?

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/index.php

What will you put down on the census for ethnic background if you don't know?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 5:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Adoption

• I'm not sure how the questions will be worded in the 2010 census but I can remember from past ones it did go beyond race-and there are only 3 races if I remember correctly. On previous questionaires it went into detail of the sort: is your ancestry German, Italian, Irish, French, English, etc. for caucasians. I remember filling one out with my adoptive parents ancestry before my search and changing it after I knew more about my ancestry. As someone pointed out the government tries to serve the constituents and knowing your bloodline makes the census more accurate. For instance if you have a certain percentage of Native American in your background that makes you eligible for certain things-and you would not know that if you were adopted and your records were sealed. Even if you were say 1/4 African American you might not know that as it may not show in your appearance. So you may not even know your race entirely.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Your link didnt work. It told me internet exploer could not display
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have my RED sharpie ready!! I will boldly write:

I AM BARRED BY WASHINGTON STATE LAW RCW 26.33.330 TO HAVE OR PROVIDE THIS INFO!
    I am adopted
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Google 2010census.gov
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• No disrepect to your topic or the statement that you want to make, but wow, I really wish there was a section on cafemom for those who really have questions that require answers.

It seems like every question on here is someone who wants to make a statement. You know the answer on how you are answering the question.

Or maybe there should be groups for each topic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think the most accurate response if you did not know or have any idea what your racial background is composed off would be to mark the box checked "Some other race" and in the box below, write "Unknown".
    I think the important thing is to realize that they are not collecting this data by any means to discriminate against you. Census data is collected to help the federal government know how many House of Representatives members a state should have based on population. The information concerning ethnicity and other seemingly irrelevant matters is used for statistical purposes and in an attempt to actually prevent discrimination. By not marking an answer on questions like sex, race, etc, you are just making someone's job more difficult and slowing down an already legnthy process that in the end determines the kind of tax dollars your state will get.
    HuntMomma

Answer by HuntMomma at 8:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You truthfully have no idea what race you are?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The question about how an adoptee (with no knowledge of their origins) came to mind as I read this article in the Washington Post this morning about groups of people who do not answer the census.

Please see:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/02/AR2010010201605.html?hpid=newswell
    Census counts on partnerships to find hard-to-reach groups
    By Carol Morello
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, January 3, 2010
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 9:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• drama...we know you have no access to your records...you don't have to remind cafemom lol.
    Anonymous

• OP: dont you usually brags about how you obtained your original records illegally?
    What dont you know?
    Anonymous