Just hit on hard times.....

Im on wic and food stamps and Im wondering if theres some kind of program that will help pay for like, diapers and wipes for my daughter, shez 1 and im startin to get nervous, were down to 15 diapers and half a box of wipes *i can uze washclothes* but the diapers worry me and i liv in a small town. any ideas? *hubby recently laid off and no work for 6 months with just enough saving to pay bills and rent, on last months worth so theres ZERO extra money and im desperate*
Does any1 kno of somewhere that can help us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can pick up cloth diapers on freecycle, craigslist, at second hand shops, etc. Here are some suggestions for saving money: Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• have u tried a diaper bank? some big cities have them
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 6:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• none where we liv, closest is like, 100milz away an we got no money 4 bill anywy so no money 4 gas eithr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• you can ask a church in your area. Not to sound mean but it is time to start dropping the Internet a other non needed expenses. Yes people hit hard times but when it boils down to it you sometimes need to rethink your priorities

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• only reason we have it is hubby goes to college thru tha internet and its dial up. its also how i pay hta watr bill thru selling our stuff on ebay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I would start cloth diapering, they are reusable. You might have a better time getting those donated. Ask around to moms in your area I know I have leftovers of different sizes so you may find some that do that. Do you work? If not you can babysit other people's kids and charge low prices in exchange for baby supplies etc. Or if worse comes to worse working at Mcdonalds is still going to bring in money. I am so sorry you are going through this.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry).

cont

• Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• I don't mean to sound rude, but since your husband is laid off, maybe he could watch the kids while you get a job, is that possible?
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2010