baby food

when did you start feeding your child baby food and also when is a good time to start juices.

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started rice cereal at 4 to 5 months, and jar foods at 6 months also juice at 6 months but small amounts until after they are one. Also when you start solids switch from a bottle to a sippy cup it makes life easier later on trust me. Also make sure that it is low sugar or no sugar juice.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We started solids at six months.

We introduced juice as an occasional treat at three (years, not months).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We started rice cereal at almost 4 mos, just a few days shy. She didn't like it so I moved on to veggies, that I pureed myself and she loved them. I moved to a silicone sippy by 6 mos and then to a straw at 12 mos. Trust me the transition earlier was so much better for us since taking our paci away was a horrible experience, I didn't want to torture myself again. It was a slow transition but well worth it. We have to have a cup of juice (apple 1/2 and water 1/2) everyday since before 6 mos due to constipation. The juice decision is totally up to you. You don't have to do the more water they get the better they are.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• thank you guys for all the help :)
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I introduced solids to my son around 8 mos, but he wasn't too interested at that time. He'd eat a few bites every few days. He began eating on a daily basis at 11 mos. I'd start with water in a sippy cup when you start solids, and offer it at meal times. Juice isn't necessary, but once they're eating solids well and drinking well from a sippy cup, you can offer some diluted juice as a treat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Solids around 5 months (just tastes here & there, it's not necessary for nutrition, it's just for practice), and juice around 8 months - my kids weren't fans though, and preferred water. Juice was a bigger thing after they hit a year - but just 4 oz a day, watered down with at least 4 oz of water - usually 2 oz juice & 4oz water though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I would skip juice altogethe. Not very nutritious if it is store bought and just a lot of sugar. Go to water when the baby is older I would also wait until at least 6 months to start real food. No jars no cereal. A lot of it tastes odd or bad, and cereal is just empty calories. Both are a waste of money. Look up Gil Rapely. And also  http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Younger than 6 months is just too young.  A baby should be able to sit up unassisted, have lost their tongue thrust reflex, and be showing interest in trying food for fun.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010