What can I give my 4 1/2 month old for a cold?

My 4 mo old is suffering from a really bad cold. He is coughing, sneezing and his nose is running all the time. I give him tylenol so hes not miserable but need to know if theres something else I can give for the cough and runny nose.

kdgalloway

Asked by kdgalloway at 8:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Health

• Unfortunately, no. Mine got a really nasty cold recently too which led to an ear infection. Saline drops and use of a nasal aspirator were mainly what I did. I gave him infants motrin right before bed too because it is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain reliever/fever reducer. Cool mist humidifiers help some babies too. Also, elevating the head of his bed. Mine slept on my chest with me in the rocking chair or recliner for several of his worst nights because that was the only thing that was helping him breathe and sleep. Hope your little one is better soon.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree with previous poster. I did all the same things for my LO's. My LO's doc. never gave them anything for a cold when they were that young.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 9:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• There isn't anything else you can do until they get older. The humidifier helped us a lot when my LO was sick at 5 mos last Christmas. Just keep doing what you are doing and the baby will feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You can use a vaporizer in the room he is in.
    A hot steam bathroom does help with loosening the congestion, sit in the bathroom with the hot shower on. Be prepared it gets hot in there! Like a sauna.
    Vicks baby rub, rib it on his feet and put warm socks on...it helps with coughing....I didn't believe it...but it does help.
    Little Noses makes a nose spray to use every once in awhile to unclog and help clear the nasal passages.
    Thats pretty much all you can do. Good luck!
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Saline drops in the nose and suction out the mucus. Try using a Nose Frida instead of a ball suction....works much better. www.nosefrida.com
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 9:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• you cannot give children anything for colds until they are 4 years old according to new guidelines, a humidifier will help and the saline drops and tylenol but no cold meds until they are four.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My DS is just getting over a cold. I put him in a vapor bath and used the suction bulb thing which he absoultley hated but you got to get the stuff out of his nose and I also put a lil vix on his feet to help him breathe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• you can use saline nasal spray in the morning and before bed spray the nose both sides with saline wait about 15 seconds and use the bulb syringe to suck out the nose (if baby sneezes this replaces the bulb LOL) but do not use any "medications" on a 4 month old please it is really bad for them
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Johnsons makes this bath stuff which is like vicks but a bath soap and it really helps you get a nice warm bath and put a few capfuls of this vapor bath in and let the baby soak in it for as long as the water is warm and it'll help loosen the congestion. It's for kids three months and over so you should be okay. If you don't want to use it thought they have some vicks baby rub you can put on the babies chest at night before goiung to sleep that'll help a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Everything everybody else said. Just stay on top and of it and if he gets really bad (not eating, sleeping) take him to the doctor. My dd has now had a cold for 2 months, she is 4 1/2 months old. I took her to the doctor because it just was not going away and they said she wasn't bad enough to give her anything for it. About 2 weeks ago I took her again because she had stopped sleeping at night (she was sleeping 8 to 10 hours and started just doing and hour or two before she would wake up). This time they said she had a little bit of fluid in her chest and put her on amoxicilion. She is doing so much better now. Anyway, I am just saying, stay on top of it and have the doctor check him out once in awhile even if it just seems like a little cold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2010