selective hearing, or really can't hear??

my 3 yr old daughter is always saying "what?" i can't figure out if she does it because she knows that it bothers me, or if she really can't hear me....

anyone else with this issue? was it a hearing problem? she'll be going in for a check up in a few months, and her dad seems to think it's just selective hearing....
sometimes i wonder though...

katatrinakay

Asked by katatrinakay at 9:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you can afford it. Just bring her to the doctor and get her hearing checked. That way you know if she is just not listening to you or she really can not hear..

Answer by louise2 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It is possible that she needs to be checked by a hearing specialist. My son was about this age when we discovered his hearing loss. Sometimes a child also has trouble processing what they hear and it may take a few seconds. Or they may also say "What" as a first response, not necessarily to aggravate but just to say something while they consider and think of how they want to answer. Meanwhile answer her "whats" patiently. On the chance that they are to aggravate you, your being patient will take that fun away, and if she really needs a repeat then you'll be comfortable that you have done what she needs. When I suspected that my son had a hearing problem I called the school who referred me to a free service that checks children's hearing. From there I went to a specialist. His hearing came and went, it seemed, I think it depended in part on if he was congested or whatever, he is looking into a hearing aid now.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It is way , way normal. My 4 year old grandson will say what even before the sentence is done being asked. I slowed down this bad habit with him by saying it to him when I knew he wanted to say something to me that he thought was important. He got the idea pretty fast when the tide turned on him
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It doesn't hurt to check. But don't worry too much it's probably normal. My son's doctor had his hearing checked when he was three and he was just fine. Heck I'm 25 and I still ask people "What?" all the time. It's not that I can't hear them, it's just I wasnt paying attention(I'm in my own little world a lot lol!). So definitely get it checked out just to make sure but more then likely she'll be fine :)
    Anonymous

• say some sort of candies name before the sentence. If they ask you about the M$&m's that you just mentioned, it's just selective hearing. So do something like "Snickers candy bars, *childs name* will you get your shoes" if they ask about the snickers but don't go get their shoes it's just them being obstinate.
    Anonymous

• My son has been going thru the EXACT same thing with questioning his hearing. I took him to the dr and he had a raging ear infection but never once said his years hurt. He was put on an abx and we were told to come back in 3wks for an ear recheck. There was still fluid/infection. Did another round. Went back. Still fluid/infection. Repeat this 3x. We were sent on to an ENT. He has moterate hearing loss in one ear and slight hearing loss in the other ear (fluid in that one too). He is now shceduled for tubes later this month then they will recheck his hearing a few weeks after that. I would highly recommend taking her in NOW to check it out rather than waiting a few months. Not hearing properly can greatly effect their ablilty to learn and develop their verbal skils
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• ive had my son checked, he is 4, when he doesnt like what you said, his responce can be --- alot! "i cant heeaar you!" what what??? i dont know what you are saying" for him it is an avoidence game of sorts. just get it checked, takes like 20 min, they do it at most health dept even if you dont have insurance. how is her speech, if her speech is okay i would bet that she can hear fine.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If you think she may have a hearing problem, take her to the doctor now..don't wait a few months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• well I'm having the same problem with my duaghter, I say something to my daughter and she don't answer me so I will say couple of times more as my voice gets louder, my duaghters says "what?" " I can't hear you mom" or what did you say?"...etc
    my hubby thinks she has selective hearing but not sure if i agree, her preschool teacher said her hearing test came back normal but she has been experiencing the same problem with her so her school nurse is going to give her further test
    chunsa03809

Answer by chunsa03809 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010