newborn sleep

my daughter is 1 month old and every morning between 6-7 she wakes up and the only way to stop her from crying is to but her in bed with me and my husband goes on the couch. i want this to stop not only is it not safe its not convenient.does anyone know how i can change this?

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she wakes up just get up and bring her in the other room instead of laying back down with her. You can always go back to sleep later when she is a sleep.

Answer by louise2 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• what else have you tried? for the first month i made a makeshift bed in the nusery. my LO got used to his room eventually.
    cradle her in your arms, sway and patt her bum
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Your day starts then between 6-7 AM. Get up, feed the baby and you should be the one out on the sofa instead of your husband displacing himself. You can go back to sleep when the baby does. BTW your pretty lucky the baby isn't getting up at 4-5 AM ......
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• MSugarKane
    Your day starts then between 6-7 AM. Get up, feed the baby and you should be the one out on the sofa instead of your husband displacing himself. You can go back to sleep when the baby does. BTW your pretty lucky the baby isn't getting up at 4-5 AM ......

^^^ I agree wholeheartedly. You chose to have a baby, now you need to see to your baby's needs - feed her, if she's waking up she's hungry - she's only a month old! Chances are you can put her back down for a nap almost immediately and go back to bed yourself. But if she's waking up for the day at 6-7am, and wants to be up for a while, guess what mama, start going to bed earlier cuz your days are starting early!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Babies are inconvenient. You are a parent, consider mornings of convenience out the window. Count yourself lucky. And do know that sleeping patterns change a lot in the first year. You brought the baby into this world so it is YOU who must adapt, the baby is driven by survival instincts.

I sleep with my baby so my husband and I (in the same bed) have learned how to sleep with our new addition. I learned how to nurse lying down, and he learned to sleep through or fall back to sleep quickly. This allows us both the luxury of lazy mornings in bed. WE changed our habits.

No one has a baby for convenience. Your baby is perfectly fine and you are lucky to have your day start when it does. Your husband doesn't have to sleep on the couch if he's willing to adapt. Heck, if I can learn to sleep through a husband sawing wood you can do anything.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Bedsharing IS safe. You just have to know how to do it properly. Yes, you can use pillows and blankets, just use them correctly. My baby has her own thick blanket I wrap her in -- it is not a choking hazard it is flannel that is 27 inches square and quite thick not overy soft. I have a pillow and so does my husband. Baby sleeps in my pits or between us up high...she is no where near the pillow. We also have two blankets. One for hime and one for me ... I cocoon myself so baby isnt in danger...and we have alittle electric heater to keep the room warmer than the rest of the house at night.

We also have a 4 in 1 convertable crib sidecarred to our bed so that we get more space AND there is no danger of baby falling when she isn't in the middle and that way I can switch sides I am sleeping on.

Convenient? Not at first. But it works really well.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i am a good mother and i do see to her needs no matter what time of day it is and she is not hungry, dirty, or wants to be awake if she did when i put her on my bed she would cry she does not even fuss she just goes to sleep.maybe saying that it was not convenient was the wrong way to say it . the main reason i asked was because i keep hearing how unsafe it is with sids and everything i do care for and love my daughter very much
    sashasmom159

Answer by sashasmom159 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• SIDS was known formerly as crib death FYI. Most cultures bedshare and in them sids is ubknown or extraordinarily rare. There are rules for modern beds though. It normal for babies to fall asleep that way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• co sleeping is perfectly safe! If anything, putting a child to sleep in a crib in an entire different room seems risky to me, I like having my babies close so that I can immediately respond to them if there were any issues...I also breastfeed which reduces the chances of sids, ive personally never been worried about sids and co sleeping
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• While most of the answers given to Sashasmom are helpful, some of the comments given seem judgmental. I thought this forum was about being there for other moms and sharing our experiences and giving advice. If someone asks a question, they deserve a helpful response. Like my mother (and a lot of other moms) used to say 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'.
    To Sashasmom - each person has their own way of doing things. As long as what you are doing is safe, you are doing the right thing for you and your baby. Sleep patterns change a lot during the first year, so what might work one day might not work the next. It's a lot of trial and error. Since what you are doing is not working for you anymore, the best thing might be to discuss this with your husband and both of you come up with a solution.
    No matter what you do, trust your instincts and you'll be a great mom!
    MamaMae925

Answer by MamaMae925 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010