How do I get rid of flee's?

All my animals are outside, we have two dogs and they are both outside, But somehow, The flee's have mangaed to get inside, I notice them more when the heat kicks on and it get's really warm, SO im going to put off a bomb, That should help right? And i have my rainbow out vaccuming like crazy, what else can i do to get rid of them?

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I am very much against bombs. Once it is done, you and your family will continue to breathe the toxic residue that has settled. I don't know if you have children, but I wouldn't use one around my kids. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats so every couple years we have a flea outbreak. I have had quick results using diatomaceous earth. This is a product you can get at any garden center. It is made of fossilized shells of diatoms and is NON TOXIC. Here is how it works (from a website): "The diatomaceous earth scrapes the protective outer shell off of insects. Without this protective layer, the insects quickly dry up and die." When we have fleas, I sprinkle the diatomaceous earth around rugs and along walls. I vacuum every day and sprinkle more after. I always can control the problem within a week. And the stuff is pretty cheap too!
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Put out Eucalyptus plants. They hate that smell. Maybe there are some sprays with the scent as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I just had this problem a few weeks ago it was driving me crazy. I got the shop vac and vacumed everything furniture curtains floors everything. Put some carpet powder or spray down and wash everything. Change vacum bags after your done so they dont get back in. They will most likley come back in two weeks bc they hatch from there pupae stage so you will have to do everything again one more time. GL you CAN get rid of them it's just a big pain.
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• There is a microscopic critter called a nemotode. You can spread it around your yard and it kills the fleas outside. A good friend of mine had a TERRIBLE flea problem in her yard and home. She bought nematodes and hasn't had the issue since. SWEARS by it. Click HERE for more information!

Good luck!

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My Dad told me about this treatment option: table salt. spread a thick layer of salt on the carpet. just walk on it for a day or 2 then vacuum. You may have to repeat in a few weeks.
    We don't have pets and a few months ago we got a flea infestation. I did the salt thing then after vacuuming, I shampooed the carpets and any furniture I could. and we have been flea free since.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 10:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• From what I have read you need to treat your garden as well as they house or they will just keep coming back in.
    Bombs may help but you have to just keep hoovering like a mad lady because although chemicals can kill the eggs and the fleas there is one part of the life cycle they can't kill...you have to keep hoovering because the vibration encourages them to hatch or something and you can get rid of them. I would spray some flea killer in your hoover too as you will be hoovering up live fleas.

Salt spread out over the carpets etc is also a good idea..but you have to leave it down as long as possible.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Bombs don't really help because the fleas are too small to be affected by it. We had a HUGE infestation about 1 1/2 years ago. We finally bough some spray for the carpet and vacuumed 3 times a day. Flea eggs can survive for up to 2 years dormant in carpet. When the conditions are right, they will hatch. Fleas love hot and humid weather, so it makes sense that you are having the problem when it gets hotter.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We have indoor cats and somehow have fleas. We frontline them and it takes care of it all, poison the food source and they all die.

Yeah, I am going to say avoid the bomb too. This past summer we had a stray have kittens and we locked her in our bathroom. We didn't have a flea infestation until AFTER we got rid of her. We bombed. It seemed to work but 2 days later, fleas again. A lot of them. We bombed again, 2 bombs in the room. 2-3 days later more fleas. Mind you, we were just boming our bathroom, door shut, no carpet. It was the only place we had fleas and we could not get rid of them. After about a week, I went in cleaned all the surfaces, frontlined my cats and tossed them in there for 2 days. Problem gone!
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Honestly, bombs don't work very well.. they only kill fleas on surface areas, but those little buggars hide every where! The best way to get rid of them is to treat your animals with some sort of flea treatment. You may want to check your pet store to see if there is a safe in home insecticide you feel comfortable with. Vacuum!! Fleas only use your pets as means of transportation, there are way more fleas in your home then on your pet. Vacuuming your carpet and furniture will help kill some fleas and eggs. It will most likely be a little bit of a process, and take some time before you rid your house completely. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• here is a method you can try and in the past when we had them at my parents house it worked. Get a bright lamp place on the floor, put a bowl/pan of soapy water underneath and the fleas will be attracted to the light and warmth and jump for it and end up in the water. Move the light and bowl around the room and into other rooms, or set up more than one. My experience with vacuuming is that you are sucking some up on the carpet then the majority of them are jumping onto nearby blankets and upholstery until the coast is clear. It may take a few days, but you will notice a difference. I would still bathe your dogs well, cause even though they are outside, if you touch them or get near them the fleas could be transferring onto you in your clothes.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2010