Weaning a 2 year old.

My daughter is turning 2 in March, and she still nursing before naps and bedtime to go to sleep. I never thought I would be brestfeeding this long, but somehow it has. I also co-sleep with my daughter so she wakes up a few times in the night to nurse real quick. Sometimes I don't even think she drinks anything, I think she just uses me as a binky b/c it comforts her. I think it's just turning into a real bad habot now, and I don't want her to end up being 3 and still nursing. It's kind of turned into a dirty secert b/c if anyone has nursed past 1 knows how much it is looked down on. So does anyone have any advice about how I should start the weaning process. The only thing I won't do is let her cry herself to sleep.

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is nothing wrong with nursing past one year old. Are you wanting to wean because of what other people think or because you yourself are not enjoying breastfeeding anymore? The WHO recommends breastfeeding till age two. Just because your child reaches age two doesn't mean you have to stop. Eventually your daughter will wean, you can let her wean on her own time or you can gently initiate the process. Most moms that I have talked to will tell you that the night nursings will be the last to go. Whatever you decide, do it for your child not because nursing past age one or two is looked down upon. Screw what other people think. She is your child, you are the one who is raising her. Not the people who look down their noses at a nursing toddler. :-)
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter had to stop nursing her son because she got pregnant. Basically she just told the child, no more mommies milk. He was using her as a paci and not really drinking for nutrition purposes. So be strong, say no, and she will get the idea.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I'm still nursing my 19 mo old, and she only asks to nurse first thing in the morning, and after lunch for about 5 mintues. We don't co-sleep anymore, and I think that may be a HUGE reason your son still wants to nurse-- wakes up to nurse throughout the night because he hasn't learned how to put himself to sleep. That my also be the reason he wants to nurse at nap time and bed time. You will just have to be firm with him, and make it so your boobs aren't accessible at night time.

Good luck!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i think it's great that you are still nursing. and i don't see it as a bad habit. my son still nurses and i don't think of that as a bad habit but he also uses a binky and i do think of that as a bad habit. ;) my son is 2 yrs+3 months and usually just nurses once per day now, sometimes twice, but each time it is literally just about 10-15 seconds total! i know it is just for comfort and he only gets a tiny drink but i don't see a problem with that. well the only problem is that i'm pregnant and my nipples are sore... anyway.

i would try kellymom for some ideas on weaning http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_faqs.html
    Anonymous