One more time, can someone explain cloth diapers do me?

I have TONS of material in my basement, just sitting there. I figure I can make a few of these cloth diapers each week and as people need them I'll just give them away.

I'm trying to find a pattern for a diaper where you do NOT need plastic pants - is there such an animal? I figure if people can't afford diapers, than they're not going to be able to afford plastic pants either.

I'd love to find a pattern that can be used with or without a liner.

BETTER YET, a liner I can make that can be washed and reused - again NOT needed plastic pants.

Can I make covers that won't leak?

HELP!! If you know of any free patterns, cheap patterns or a pattern you purchase and you'd like to send me (because I'm making these and giving them away to those in need) that meet the criteria, please contact me.

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 9:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't make diapers but do use cloth. I believe you use a layer of PUL if you are making AIO's or Pocket Diapers, (AIO's and Pockets don't require covers). I'm willing to bet someone here can help you more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think maybe fleece can be used as a cover that won't leak, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that wool can be used as a cover.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• AIO? PUL?
    I think PUL is waterproof fabric, right?
    What is AIO?
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I think plastic pants of some sort are the only thing that will work, could you make some out of the material they use for outdoor picnic tables? I used clothe diapers because they were better for my kids behind, lol, by the time you wash them and the time it takes, I am not really sure how much cheaper they are> but I think you could make some cute ones for sure!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• PUL is a waterproof fabric that is very difficult (and expensive!) to find. Some JoAnn Fabrics carry a basic white fabric. It also can be difficult to sew on since it is slippery. An AIO is an All in One diaper - it usually has a flannel/soft inner fabric, enough "stuffing" in the middle, and then a water proof or water resistant fabric on the outside. All you have to do is put it on; no cover needed. If you're looking to make this kind of diaper and don't want to buy PUL, fleece is probably the best alternative to it for an outer fabric, though it is not 100% waterproof. Instead of getting WET when it gets wet, it gets DAMP. LOL! Does that make sense?! There are TONS of groups on CM and other places where you could find cheap/used diaper covers to use over your homemade diapers. Please PM me if you want more info; I would be happy to help you out!
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 11:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010