Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I entitled to child support?

My ex is on SSI and I get SSI for my 5 year old because he has Autism. Someone told me because my son receives SSI that I don't qualify for support. My ex has been voluntarily sending $100 a month but has asked me(yes asked me) to file the child support papers. Do you think I will get anything?

Answer Question

Asked by SebsMom29 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • I would do it. Why wouldn't you get support? I know that SSI means that your hubby can't work full time. how would that disqualify your son from support? But if he is willing to pay what ever they want him to then I would. If he can afford 100 a month I won't think the courts would take that away from you and your son. Every little bit helps.  And kudos to your ex for at least attempting to help with financial support.  Call legal aid just to be sure.


    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • I've been told that because I receive SSI for my son that I don't qualify for support

    Answer by SebsMom29 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • All you can do is try, I would think he would be entitled to something.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • yes you can get support and it wont even come out of his sister's husband gets ssi and they send her a check every month and dont take anything from him at do have fill the paper with the court and i think go to the ssi office i will ask her for sure and post again.....

    Answer by cara124 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • yes you should get support and it will come out of his income. I used to get SSI for my son (income is now too high) because he has autism and when I filed for child support they lowered the actual amount my ex SHOULD be paying due to the SSI, but I still got child support for them. When my ex was actually working they took the child support straight out of his paycheck and sent it to child support enforcement.

    Answer by missanc at 11:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • I believe the SSI is considered your child support but call Child Support and ask

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • How can SSI be considered child support. I mean that is from the government. Child support is from the parents of the child. I can see it being reduced because the parent is receiving SSI, that means he has some form of a disabiliting and has a decreased working capacity. So I am terrible confused. Call Child Support or Legal Aid and that is the only way you will know for sure anyway.


    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • It can't hurt to just apply and see.
    You'll only know if you apply.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • how can the SSI my son receives for his Autism be seen as child support? I get that from the government to care for him NOT from his father! So please tell me how the hell that equals support?

    Answer by SebsMom29 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • My best friend's son receives SSi and has since he was 2 (he is now 11). She still receives full child support for him from the dad (a little over 300 per month) when he pays. She just received over 2,000 in back support from where he misses so often.

    Answer by sandra1023 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.