As a Morman what are you taught as far as morals in a marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was taught to not have sex before marriage. That was about it except the whole no cheating type stuff.

Is there a more specific idea you had in mind like sex positions or whatnot?? In my home those werent discussed it boiled down to what happens is between you and your spouse and God just be married and dont cheat and dont do really gross things like animal sex and such LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I don't really get this question are we supposed to be different from other people or have some weird beliefs? Lol I've been Mormon all my life and it's really we are taught marriage is a commitment not to be taken lightly no adultry, a good marriage is full of love and respect
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• No I don't think Mormans are weird lol. I'm asking because I believe their are a low number of divorces, right? Isn't their like Morman classes for women to learn to be sub missive and stuff?
    Anonymous

• Anon: 14, where are you getting this stuff? No, there aren't any classes to teach a woman how to be submissive (notice, it's all one word) and "stuff"....What stuff? Btw, it's spelled M-o-r-m-o-n. Mormons (or LDS) are just like any other Christian faith when it comes to marriage. And did you ever stop to think that maybe the divorce rate is so low because the sharing of their faith & its ideals helps them to maintain their committment to their marriages? Hmmm, sounds like most successful marriages to me, Mormon or otherwise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• No, no classes like that.

Divorce rate might seem low but that doesnt mean all their marriages are perfectly happy either just that they choose to work on them or deal with them as is.

And I thought I read somewhere a while back that the divorce rate wasnt as low as some might think.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There are not any classes like that, although if there are marriage problems and the couple needs help, the church often helps pay for marriage counseling, and things like that. The church teaches from young kids up to adulthood that marriage is an important part of God's plan for each of us. Women are not taught to be submissive, its taught that marriage is an equal partnership. Also we believe that when you are married in the temple it is for eternity&will last in the afterlife. There are tons &tons of books out there by various authors on how to make a marriage work that Deseret books (a Mormon ran bookstore) sells. You can see the books here: http://deseretbook.com/store/browse/65 or http://deseretbook.com/store/browse/64 if you are interested. I have heard the divorce rate is quite low for those who are married in the temple, but not all couples are&I think the divorce rate over all is the same as other denominations

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2010