My daughter has a diaper rash that won't go away!

My daughter is 15 months now, and has had a diaper rash of varying degrees for at least 2 months.
We use disposables, her diet consists of mostly fruit, juice, milk, pastas, corn and peas and a little meat.
We recently switched from cheap generic diapers to Pampers Baby Dry, and that seemed to help for a few days, but then I gave her a bath and it flared up again and hasn't gone back down.
Baths don't seem to help at all actually, only make it worse. (We don't use normal soap in her bath, we use Johnsons Baby soap.)
We've seen the ped at least three times for this. The first time he prescribed Niasatin, since he thought it was a yeast infection. He didn't swab or anything, just took one quick look and wrote a prescription.
The second time he brushed my questions off and the third time he suggested I keep using the prescription and to use Vasaline in between doses.
I stopped doing this long ago, it doesn't work.

misdreya

Asked by misdreya at 12:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also tried Neosporin layered with baby powder from a friends suggestion, it didn't seem to help either.
    misdreya

Answer by misdreya at 12:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I use destine SP?
    Try the huggies naturals. They are organic dipers.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My oldest has dry skin and the only wipes that ddidn't dry out her skin and give her a constant rash was Lansinoh wipes, they also have a cream. The two together was a heaven sent for my oldest. I found them at target. They have lanolin in them, a very good skin protectant and moisturizer. My youngest has sensitive skin and gets rash if I don't changed her poopy diapers quickly (can't wait for potty training in 2 weeks) I found that Butt Paste works best on her rashes, it still takes a few days to cure a bad rash but there is improvement after one application. There is a ton of Zinc in it, so it is a really good protectant. A&D ointment might also work my mother swears by it, didn't help mine though. Hope that helps.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• A&D works great. My child never had a rash.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound like this is a normal case of diaper rash (the kind kids get from being in wet diapers). I'd get a 2nd opinion on it. In the meantime, have you tried vaseline with cornstarch? It's the only thing that I ever needed for my 5 kids. Never had a rash last more than a day. What about switching to cloth diapers for a week or so just to see if it works?
    Hope you find an answer soon.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 12:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Switching to organic diapers should be easy enough to try, thanks Mrs. Owen for the suggestion! ^_^
    And I never thought the wipes might be the problem! I def. look for the Lansinoh wipes and cream, thanks devillnpigtails! :D
    I can't wait for potty training as well. Even as young as she is, me and my husband are already talking about trying it just to get her out of these dang diapers!
    misdreya

Answer by misdreya at 12:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Niastin never did anythong for my kids. I used athlete's foot med. or monistat cream
    Also try a diff. soap -- more natureal without ANY perfumes.
    Sensitive skin wipes (except when with rash -- only soapy water)
    Keep pampers off as much as possible-- sunlight is the best cure.
    Neosporin -- no way its an anitbiotic
    butpste may be good. The generic diaper creams with lots of zinc worked for us and I've seen other parents use one the is Vitamin E (kinda like vaseline)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Anytime
    The wipes we use are huggies soft skin with shea butter. Our daughter gets pretty bad rashes when we use anything else.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Try giving her an Aveeno oatmeal bath. Then get the Balmex in the tub. Slather it on thickly. It should help. Use a lot of Balmex. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter had a really bad rash made worse by medication and the only thing that worked for her was triple paste. It's pricey but works better than anything else we've tried. Burts Bees baby ointment worked for her less severe rash. You might want to scale back on the juice for a few days- the acidity can sometimes make rashes worse. Good luck!
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 1:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010