WHAT HAPPENED TO MY POTTY TRAINED KID?!?!?!?!?!

My daughter turns 4 next month. She has been completely day-time potty trained for almost a year now. She was sick 2 weeks ago with vomiting & diarrhea. To make things easier on me and her, I kept her in Pull-Ups for one day. Then when she was feeling better the next day, I put her back in panties. But since that time, she's been having "accidents." I say "accidents" but they aren't "accidents." She knows she's going to pee, she knows it's wrong, she wets her pants and then comes to me all shameful and asks me to help her change. I spent the first 1-1/2 weeks being all sympathetic & telling her that it's okay, everyone has accidents, but she needs to pee in the potty. That didn't work. 2 days ago, I finally started giving her butt a little whack (not even remotely hard) and I told her that if she pee'd in her pants again, she'd get another whack. That didn't work. She just keeps doing it! What happened? I'm so frustrated!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm sorry that this happened to you but once a kid is potty trained no matter how much easier it'll make your life you absolutely cannot ever put them back into a pull up or diaper. You're just going to have to keep reprimanding her everytime she wets herself. Or you could sit her in time out on a towel for a few minutes and make her sit in it, I've heard of people doing that just for a few minutes not long but it apparently is very uncomfortable for the kid and they try much harder to not wet themselves the next time.
    Anonymous

• potty treats worked for us..
    don't scold the bad behavior, but reward the good.. they tend to take whatever sort of attention they can get..
    tell her that she will get a treat for going pee on the potty, but otherwise, there will be NO treats.
    it worked within one day for us...
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 5:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010