WHY Atheists do not believe in god?

~Replied in another Q~
"Im really sorry for your experience, truly I am. I know your an atheist so I am respectfully asking you......why you dont view the bible as a gift from God (sorry I cant remember your opinion on it) or Jesus's death as a way of God helping us all?" (3giggles... I know you won't mind me quoting you for the purpose of expressing this answer in another thread. you're usually cool like that)

So ladies... Agnostics, Secular Humanists, "Toothfairy" Agnostics, Naturalists... Atheists (the list goes on...), WHY do you NOT believe in god/gods/higher power/force of the universe, etc?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its cool. You know I love adult conversation, but I must say, Im blushing a bit! lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I do believe in God, but I would say the reason why they don't is because there is no logical explanation for God.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I equate it to 2 stereo types- those who need, and those who do not.

like anything else in life, there are "needs" that an individual will fill with whatever they feel is necessary to produce that happy feeling of contentment. religion is one of them. some people feel the need (even if subconsciously) for an answer to EVERYTHING, a simplistic yes/no. they look around at the world full of "Created" beings, plants, the universe- they feel at peace that there is/was a guiding force that explains it all.

likewise, most of us who do NOT believe in such simplistically complex answers as religion, are amazed by the infinite possibilities, and rely on what can be PROVEN as a guiding force of life. like most of us, I am set at ease by my status as a speck of insignificant dust in this universe, that I will live, and one day die. that everything in between is icing on the cake. that this one life is our "heaven".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• any questions I MAY have had in regards to an afterlife have been answered through an experience that I am not proud of- I od'd, I died... there is nothing, no light at the end of the tunnel, not flames licking my @$$, not a thing but darkness. and end, a lack of consciousness... thats it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Because the whole concept is absurd, and contradictory to all the laws of physics.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "like anything else in life, there are "needs" that an individual will fill with whatever they feel is necessary to produce that happy feeling of contentment. religion is one of them. some people feel the need (even if subconsciously) for an answer to EVERYTHING, a simplistic yes/no. they look around at the world full of "Created" beings, plants, the universe- they feel at peace that there is/was a guiding force that explains it all."

My mother is one of those people as well as most of her side of the family. I had it shoved down my throat until I permanently moved out around 22. I understand that some people "need" a God or Gods...but once I was about 15 I really started to realise that many people use him as a crutch I guess- my mom would either blame him for the bad or give him the credit for the good and to me that is kind of a sad thing- that she doesn't give herself credit where it is due.
    cont...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have the "god" debate with my self all the time. I see the rational side born, live, die, back to the earth circle thing. Then I see a new born baby and I think God does exist. I see a grown man commit suicide and I think God doesn't exist. Where is the all loving all knowing God when some intervention was necessary? Could God have nudged this man's family into seeing something other than the end of their own noses?
    Then I say a prayer and I ask God to give my sister in law peace in her heart-- I feel like it was heard. So for Atheist I don't know. I am a in an area where I can see the possibility of God, then I see the whole creation thing. Both seem so clear, yet cloudy.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• ...As for me- I was already wondering about "other" ideas and whatnot and wehn I decided to take mythology in high school, my parents freaked. I think they were afraid I would learn something!
    well, I started to think of it as being the same thing- mythology (don't pull out the dictionary and tell me the definition!)
    anyhow basically I see it as just rewritten myths but for the newer times...if that makes sense
    I believe that nothing happens to us wehn we die really- but I Do actually make refences to being watched by those I loved who are no longer here though I don't actually believe it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I believe in God because I am not arrogant enough to think all this could not be the help of God. Science without God is not possible.
    Anonymous

• Anon 13:11~ I would rather be perceived by an insignificant speck of dust in the universe (just as we all are) as "arrogant", and life happily and peaceably with the understanding that I am bound to no fate, that I have the ability to choose my path, to live freely and enjoy my life. To be amazed my the complexity of life- rather than be completely ignorant to it all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2010