how was it the first few nights?

i just had my baby boy on new years eve! he was 6lbs 14oz and 20.5in long and 3 weeks early. i am so scared that im not doin somethin right. he stayed up the whole night the first night and was so ill...well he had gas i think. i can't get him on a feeding schedule bc sometimes he wont eat much and sometimes he will eat like hes starvin...and he wont burp too good so he always spits up when i lay him down...ahh im sooo scared!! i just want to be the best mommy and i feel like im not doin anything right!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I felt like that as well. Chloe was a perfect angel only problem was I had a c-section so it was hard getting up at night, to go to the bathroom or to tend to her. Chloe ate for 30 mins, and slept for 30 mins. Some babies have different eating patterns. Google it and there are a few websites with help to change their eating pattern.
    MrsCrain0409

Answer by MrsCrain0409 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Welcome to mommyhood! You're not doing anything wrong. Some babies do well on schedules, some do not. My son ate every three hours like clockwork, even at night. My daughter has defied EVERY attempt I've made at putting her on a schedule. Believe it or not it does get better and you will learn to work together. Just feed him when he wants to eat, although I would try not to let him go more than three or four hours especially here at first. In a couple of weeks you will be so much more comfortable. You'll see. Hang in there.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• its ok hes only a couple days old....... babies usually dont get eating and sleeping patterns until they are a couple weeks old!! And all new parents worry and wake up every hour to make sure your baby is ok!! some babies are spitters my last one would burp so loud then 2 secs latr would perjectile vomit all over me i took her to the doc and they said as long as she has at least 4 wet diapers a day she is fine!! she is now 10 months healthy fat kid!! i am still nursing her but her throwing up finally went away at 6 months!! So dont stress it to much hell be fine just make sure you lay him on his side so when he does spit up itll come out and not stay in!! to help roll a blanket up and put it behind his back.. Good Luck!! and Congrats!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 1:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter didn't eat on a schedule until she was about 3 months old. We put her on a bath/sleep schedule immediately, but the eating schedule didn't work. The way I figure, feed the kid when he's hungry! Rub his back until he burps, and maybe lay him on an incline so he's not so inclined to spit up. You can do this by putting a pillow under his CRIB MATTRESS.
    Good luck!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 1:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I never got my kids on a schedule, I just fed them when they were hungry, I even tried to get them on a schedule at different times and couldn't do it. My first night with my first baby was horrible, he cried the whole night unless he was being held. In the morning I called a friend who had 6 kids, she suggested having him sleep in a carseat or bouncy seat for a while because it would feel more like being held and that worked. I don't know how long I did that for, not too long. Then I started proping him on his side, it's not recommended because they can turn over onto their stomach, but he would never sleep flat on his back. My daughter slept great from her first night and she liked being on her back. I'm not sure what the difference was, although I was a lot better at swaddling with her and she slept swaddled for months.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Schedules are good for any child you just need time to create one. The first few nights are overwhelming!!!!! you are hurting and uneasy about everything you need to do, give yourself time and you will catch on. Follow your instinct, learn as you go, get acquainted with the baby one day at a time, you will be an awesome momy!!!!

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I remember those days after having my girl. I looked in the "What to Expect the First Year" book like every HOUR! lol Do you have a support system? Your mom, BFF? My MIL helped me on nursing and I eventually saw a Lactation Consultant. All kids eat differently, like Goldilocks......too fast, too slow, juuuuuuuust right. (those were my kids) Trust your momy instincts.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Sleepless.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I was exhausted! I wanted to cry...I was trying to BF and it was hard....all I wanted was sleep...that was in 2003 and yes the memory is so fresh!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You're doing just fine. Don't worry about it!! You can get gas medicine for him to help if he wont burp. Yeah...you lose sleep, you're exhausted everyday...but every time you look at that little boy...you'll smile and know it's totally worth it.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010