Is it bad that I dont let myself cry?

I mean I will get a littel teary eyed but I will NOT cry. I hold it back everytime.
I grew up getting beat if I cried and beat hard for cring from the beating.
Is it ok that I still dont cry?
Even alone Iwont cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Health

• I don't allow my self to cry very often. I too get weepy eyed from time to time, but having been through 4 overseas deployments in 6 years of marriage and with one small child, I have had to learn to keep my emotions bottled up for long periods of time so as not to worry my in-laws or son.

TRUST ME, this is not healthy! Not allowing myself the emotional release of a gut wrenching sob is what landed me in the psych ward for 10 days. A full blown hysterical sob is probably one of the most soul cleansing feelings I have ever felt. I has taken me a long time to "teach" myself to cry again. Watching Gray's Anatomy while PMSing was a good way to start. Even the quiet tears are good too. It took close to a year for me to feel comfortable crying on my husbands shoulder again after he got home.
    andreabwdn

Answer by andreabwdn at 9:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Well, it would be healthier for you if you allowed yourself to cry. Maybe if you felt safe enough to let go and cry you could. It's worth a try.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Crying hun, is a release of emotions, we are all human and we all have emotions, does not in any way shape or form say that you are weak it says you are a normal healthy woman with emotions like everyone else. Yes, it is bad to hold those emotions in, release them and cleanse your soul along with it.

Answer by older at 1:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I do the same thing, I hold it in and self implode, yes, it is unhealthy, I had high blood pressure, ulcers...it can lead to many other health problems. You do need to vent, cry once in awhile to get things out. My counselor is trying to teach me I can cry a little at a time and not become completely overwhelmed by my emotions. How awful that you were beaten for crying, I was simply mocked. (((HUGS)))
    Anonymous

• Let it out. It's not good to hold back on your emotions. Since you have a history of abuse, I think counseling will benefit you for your own good.

Hang in there!
    Anonymous

• I think it's ok to not cry if you let out your emotions some other way. I have relatives who don't cry or scream either but they are runners and that helps them get out their emotions. Sometimes I write poetry. Other times just going crazy doodling helps me.
    For others bicycling or walks help.

I don't think it's bad to not cry. But I think it's bad to not cry remembering abuse but being physically in a place alone or with a nurturing friend or partner with whom even over times proven trustworthy, that you can not cry alone or with that partner.

Have you thought about counseling? There are even 24 hour help lines through United Ways through out the country to just talk about any thing any number of times, other helplines are out there too.

Some women get comfort in church choirs or knitting,crocheting for causes.

How's your selfesteem other than not crying. Doing volunteer work can help boost selfesteem too.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010