my son is too skinny! HELP

my ds is 16 almost 17 months old and on his last appnt with the pedi at his 15 month appnt he weighed 18lbs and i think like 8-9 ounces. he is gaining weight each dr visit but its only a lb or so. When he was born he weighed 7lbs 1 ounce and was 19 1/2 inches long.. pretty much a normal baby. When I found out I was pregnant it was a surprise. i was already 9 weeks prego and i had been drinking . I of course stopped when i found out. I know he doesnt have fetal alcohol syndrom because he also meets his milestones way before he should, he is super smart, has a big head, runs around and is normal. He is just so skinny. dr wasnt worried before but now she is questioning.asked me about his fathers history and mine. his dad was normal on the growth chart but short, i was normal all around. why is he almost off the chart for weight(height is fine) he eats all the time and eats great. what am i doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe this'll put you at ease...

my dd was not huge, but a big baby at birth. she more or less grew into herself, and quit gaining weight. she has been in the 5-15% in weight, and the 95% in height since she was about 6 months old. this has continued into childhood. now I have an almost 9 year old who is 4'6 and weighs 53 lbs... perfectly healthy, no defects, eats like a horse. just built that way.

on the flip side my 2 1/2 year old ds weighs almost 40 lbs and is in a sz 4- not an ounce of fat except his chubby cheeks- he is just a BIG kid...

my other ds is kind of a shrimp, they are ALL different... as long as he is eating, playing, learning, growing- there are no red flags outside of his weight, don't freak out. you're doing fine- and chances are good that he is too, and he is just built a little different then what the charts are designed to measure.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Um I wouldn't worry, if he's eating and developing normally then dont' worry. my daughter was the same way
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• OP stated that the doctor is concerned.

Maybe his ped. can refer you to a specialist of some sort.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 21 mos and very small....I feed her its just the way she is she really doesn't gain. Think your freaking out over nothing!
    Anonymous

• If he is eating good, you are doing nothing wrong. He might just not keep fat on thats all.

Answer by louise2 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• doctor is just asking about history, I got asked the same thing, I seriously doubt it's anything to worry about, that and the mom isn't doing anything wrong
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• my son is 5 and weighs only 39lbs. he is in the 10%. I give him ensure drinks. But with your son being so young don't do it without asking a doctor first. My son gained 1.5lbs in two weeks on them.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• --original poster--

well he pedi didnt say she is worried (she has been the one telling me its okay the last year when wic gave me shit about his weight and took me off the program) anyways she just said at his 15 month appnt that it would make her feel better if she found out some history of his dad and myself as kids. She said that he had only 10 teeth at his 15 mo appnt and that is what approx a 9 mo old usually has and that the teeth development delay could be accounted with the low weight. He always eats 3 meals a day plus snacks all day long. Wic used to tell me to not feed him so much to let him be starved at dinner and etc so he will eat. but with his weight i wont deny him food if he wants it. he eats healthy as well as nice good fatty foods for him like avacado that he loves and eats all the time.he is not anemic either the dr did a test.he does run around CONSTANTLY though and is always active.
    Anonymous

• : Zakysmommy, dont worry what doctor said. All Doctor want to know if Mom is good take care babies. My baby 's doctor still ask questioning forever. Im keep tell them, my son fine and great eat. if he dont want eat than dont eat. Give some alot drink help him gain. THey also told me how he sleep! Im getting tired they ask same questioning over over again.

Dont worry too much!! Zakysmommy!!! Your baby fine. If u want him gain than drink alot milk or juice!! U be fine. Im agree with Anonymous,
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 2:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating and drink and learning like he should. My dd is 23mo old and only weights 25lbs but her pedi said she will grow when she is ready.
    Anonymous