Would you call Child Protective Services?

I know a 5 year old who only weighs 29 lbs and still isn't potty trained. Her mom stopped taking her to the doc when she was two because they wanted to hospitalize her for being malnourished. the only reason why she is sooo skinny is because her mom doesn't feed her the right foods or the right amount of foods. She only drinks dr. pepper and doesn't eat fruits or vegies. She only eats junk like candy and icecream and soda. She wears a size 18 months jeans and she's 5 YEARS OLD!!! They (the school) took her out of kindergarten because she would pee and poop her pants every day.

The even worse news is that she (the 5 year old's mom) is my sister-in-law.

Would you call Child Protective Services against your own family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes call, here is number: 1-800-4-A-CHILD. Or your local state CPS/SRS number.
    psychmama

Answer by psychmama at 4:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If that is all fact then yes I would. That poor child could have serious issues in life or even die. My mother had me malnourished and dehydrated and the cops had to take me to the hospital for 3 weeks. sadly they gave me back

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Of course it is al a fact...when I was typing it I knew that some mothers wouldn't believe what I was saying because it sounds unreal. Sadly it IS all true. My mother and stepdad have told my brother several times that his kid isn't healthy and he just says that she is "small naturally".

No kid is THAT small naturally!
    Anonymous

• It does not matter what the relation of the parent is to us. The child is all that matters. You can call anonymously too. For that child's sake, please make the call.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Actually the child could be small naturally. My twins were preemies and were very tiny. But the reason I am concerned is that she isn't under a doctor's care. My kids were and we were working hard to be sure they were getting nutrition. Also due to their developmental problems they were not potty trained at 5. But given the fact that she is not under a doctors care and the mother seems at best unconcerned, at worst deliberately neglectful  YES YES CALL!

Anonymous

• I def. would. If you were that child you would hope SOMEONE would do something...
    Did the school ever call on her?
    Poor child.. def. call.. it will always be private and they will never let them know who called so you dont need to worry about that.. what does your husband think about all of this?
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My husband has threatened my brother that if he continues to do nothing, he'll take custody of the kid himself.

Her kid is a terror though..completely undisciplined...she hits our two year old constantly and yells at her.
    Anonymous

• I would call
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yes. It's neglect if she's not taking the child to a doctor for regular checkups, not to mention the other crap.
    Anonymous

• Please call. I know it must be hard since you are related but you would be harming that child if you did not.
    Anonymous