When is it too cold to go outside?

I work at a preschool and in our state (Georgia) we can take the children outside if it is 42° or above. I took our 2 year old's out one day when it was 50° (they all had on hats, coats, and most had gloves on) and someone said that it was too cold for them to go outside. So, as a parent, when do you think it is too cold for your children to play outside? Keep in mind that we are generally only outside for 30 minutes at a time unless it is a very nice, warm day.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Where i live now the rule at home and school is if its 20 degrees or less you have to stay indoors. I cant imagine 50 being too cold to go out side and i grew up in a warm southern state !
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The rule at school here is -27C (-16 or -17F). But that temp or less (with the windchill) the kids have to stay inside. I don't have a set temp where it's too cold. If it's been warmer and it gets down to -27 then that's too cold, but if it's been really cold (we've had windchills down to -46) the last few days then -27 is not too cold. I do agree though that it does depend on what you're used to though. But 50F is +10C and we would for sure be out in that, coats or sweaters for sure, but I don't know about hats or gloves. And 60F, that's almost +16 which is almost shorts weather, you could get away with capris for sure. I guess it really is a matter of perspective.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• 50 too cold?! My rule is above freezing is fine, with appropriate clothing. I live in CA so we are a bit spoiled as far as temp. It is rare to be under freezing during the day.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Im from southern california and anything over 50 is warm lol. But i am living in Wa State because hubby is in the army. Anything under 49 is cold to me. Especially a few weeks ago it was around 25 at night or lower and in the day it was 30-35. We are not out doors people so we dont go outside unless we have too. we stay in doors all the time
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• haha. 50 degrees out and my kids are playing in just hoodies, no coats or hats, lol.
    At school they go out as long as it's above freezing (32F). At home they go out if it's above 20F as long as they are bundled up in their snow gear. They don't usually want to go out when it's that cold, though.
    People in the south are so spoiled when it comes to the cold. It's been steady at around 12F here all week. Brrr. And we walk to school. So tomorrow we will all be bundling up and going up in the sub-freezing temps. We walk to school as long as it is above -25F (that's the temp, not the windchill). Anything below that and they stay home if my husband isn't around to drive them.
    And I know people up in Canada probably think I'm a wuss, lol.
    And 60F...we're out in shorts. I just wish it would get back into the 30s, this teen crap is too freaking cold.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Man, 50 would feel like summer to us right now - we haven't seen a temp (actual temp) above zero for a couple days now! My kids school doesn't really have rules, other than if there's a windchill advisory there's no outdoor recess, beyond that it's up to the teachers who have to do playground duty that day. If it's really cold but there's no wind, they got out - but it's only for 15 minutes. If it's not so cold but it's windy making it feel frigid, they stay in. Doesn't bother me if they stay in or go out. We don't have set rules at home, but we definitely don't go out too often.
    Anonymous

• At (elementary) school, the rule here in my part of NC is as long as it is above freezing they go out for recess. When the kids are home, if it's below 50 I don't make them go outside and play, because for me that is uncomfortably cold. If they do go out I make them come in every half hour or so and warm up.

Answer by missanc at 5:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It was 19 here today, and my boys went out on the trampoline for about 20 minutes. Just enough to burn the stink off of them. I think if you are used to warm temps, then you have to decide what is too cold, but when you grow up with brutal winters and scortching summers, you just adapt.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010