CPS Really Screwed Up!

Long story short, CPS took my kids away in 2002, because they said I was married to the man that had molested my daughter. She was 8 when they took them away. We had battled them, and there was plenty of proof that this did not happen. They then used my mental illness (Bi-Polar, Anxiety) against me, as well as the fact that before I had kids, I used drugs, and I grew up in the system myself. It was horrible what they did. I also gave birth to my 5th child during that mess and they took her straight away! Anyway, 4 of the 5 kids were adopted, and my daughter, who made the allegations, came out when she was 13 (15 now) and told everyone that she only said it was my husband because she feared for her life. It was really his brother who did it to her, and he said he'd kill her if she told. I believe her, because he is very insane. Spent much of his youth in state hospital. What can we do now legally? No one will help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Adoption

• Don't take this offensively, but how do you think CPS screwed up with taking your children when it was YOUR child who made up the allegations? That is their fault...how? They were just doing their jobs, I would do the same thing. People always say "believe children" well that is what they did. Screwing up on their part would be ignoring what she said and possibly leaving her in a potentially dangerous situation.

I hope your husband did not face charges or get prosecuted. A lot of people are wrongly accused by children. (not saying that she wasnt scared into lying about it)
    Anonymous

• Wow...that really sucks! I agree with anon at 2:39 that CPS did their job, though. I don't see how the 15 year old still lives with you...if SHE was the one making allegations why didn't SHE get taken away too?

If the kids were already adopted then there is nothing you can do other than request visitation rights.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 2:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i apologize...I misread...the child who made the allegations WAS adopted, right?

4 of 5 were adopted and the last is still in foster care...right? I would drop my SO if it meant getting a chance to get my one kid back before it's too late.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 2:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Why didn't you just leave your husband at the time until this cleared up. I'm sorry it sounds like you screwed up by picking him over your children. I'm sure you would have been able to keep all your children if you left him or he left you. Also if he really cared about the children he would have left you, so that the kids could stay with you and be with their mother. Again I'm sorry but you need to stop blaming others and take responsibilty for youself.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 3:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You are asking what you can do legally...what is it you are "trying" to do? I am trying to understand your exact question.

1) Get kids back?
    2) Drop false allegations?
    3) Get visitation?
    4) Have CPS apologize?
    5) Arrest bro-in-law?

I am very sorry that your family has suffered this great loss. I believe that you and your DD (especially her) needs some counseling to deal with the sexual, emotional, and psychological abuse that she suffered at the hands of your BIL. I don't believe that there are any statutes of limitations on sexual abuse and in prosecuting your BIL, she may be able to take her life back. It also may show (for future reference to "right" the "wrong" information in your CPS file, even though your DD said it and they believed her. Yes, we should believe children, but we should also look at the evidence and understand what they are NOT saying, just as your DD was covering up to protect her family.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Your rights were terminated and you still have contact with your oldest daughter? I'm sorry, but there are too many holes in your story. If your rights were terminated then why do you still have contact? Particularly in your type of situation. I"m not trying to be mean. Just realistic. It just isn't really done. I am sorry for your family difficulty and your loss...but since none of us know the entire story....no one can tell you how to get what it is that you want. The only thing you can do is hire an attorney. No matter what suggestion you get it all will have to begin with having your own lawyer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I also find it difficult to believe that your rights were terminated and the children adopted if the allegations were never proved with more evidence than just your one daughter's testimony. I've been close to CPS proceedings and usually it takes quite a while and quite a lot of evidence before parental rights are terminated. And I've known mothers with a lot more problems than yours who still have their parental rights, although their children are in foster care.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• maybe the husband thinks that leaving would be admitting guilt...either way...this story doesn't make sense at all
    Anonymous

• I'm sick of women choosing men before their kids. Before the so called allegations were cleared, you stayed with him? Makes no sense to me.

Kind of reminds of me Catelynn from Teen mom. Gave her own baby away, yet, would not move 60 miles away from her boyfriend. Your children should always come first! Period, the end.
    Anonymous

• It takes a lot of evidence for CPS to take a child away, there must be more than just allegations.CPS tries to keep families together and for them to let your children be adopted proves there is more. Anyway with you being the mother you should have put your children first and moved away until the "allegations" were dismissed, what happened is you proved to the court that your man was more important to you than your own children. You got what you asked for, if you would have moved away until everything was over you would still have your children, now you have to deal with it.

Anonymous