i have a 7 mouth old girl i want to know how to get her to drink from a cup or bottle

i breastfeed her in she loves to bite in that is why i'm trying to wern her in i need help to get her on a bottle or cup

nikkiginn210

Asked by nikkiginn210 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can introduce a sippy cup with water during playtime, or snack time. I started mine on sippy cups at 6 months and it doesn't usually take very long for them to get the hang of it, but it will take a little time. Your best bet is to work on stopping the biting - I know it hurts! Most of us have been there, but you pull her off (if she's holding on put your finger inside her cheek and work it in between her teeth), and firmly tell her no, then you can let her try again. If she bites again, I used to take mine off and tell them we were finished. She will learn with consistency.

Answer by missanc at 7:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I feel your pain. My daugther bit me twice and drew blood when she was 8 months old. She was already used to a bottle though. If I were you I would pump some and have someone else try with the bottle. She associates you with BF....Some people will tell you that there are ways to stop biting, and there may be. But none of them ever worked for my daughter and we did just fine. I pumped until she was a year old. Good luck to you.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Calliesmommie is answer is right. That help alot.
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 2:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You don't have to wean. Just figure out what causes the biting...pain or what?   go to:  http://www.kellymom.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Biting is your first discipline issue. When she bites, immediately pull her off, get in her face, and very firmly say NO! Then remind her that mommies are for hugs and kisses, not hurting, then let her finish eating. You can introduce a sippy cup with water in a couple of months.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Getting her on a sippy or bottle will take time and patience. Not all kids take them or take them early. Just stop her nursing and say "NO." She may cry a bit and then calm her down and finish feeding her. I found that my youngest bit when he felt that I wasn't paying enough attention to him or when he was barely awake and not latched well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010