Is there an antibiotic shot for ear infections?

I can't get my 19 month old to take his medicine. He spits it out, fights, screams and throws it up when I manage to get it down him. I've tried putting it in his food or drink but then he just won't eat or drink. Is there a shot available to get the medicine in him for good? We've been through three courses of medicine and it's just not working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is it amoxicylin? (sp?) That's what my son's on now. Some pharmacies will put flavoring in the meds for kids if you ask. I don't know if that would help? What if you told him he would get a treat if he takes his medicine? Each time you need to give it to him tell ask him, do you want a cookie? I'll give you a cookie if you take your medicine. It will make you feel better. I don't know, I'm not quite sure what I would do in that situation. Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Most eat infections are viral, not bacterial. Try putting drops of apple cider vinegar in the ears; get a (refrigerated) probitic powder to sprinkle on your child's food.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If it is bacterial, try giving the pink stuff to him very well chilled. The colder it is, the better is tastes. My daughter used to fight it too, now since using the chilled method, she's always wanting seconds! :)
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 4:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• A shot of rocephin can usually clear up an infection... but sometimes more than one shot is needed (once/day for a couple of days)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My son had frequent ear infection (now he has tubes) and had the Rocephin shots for his last ear infection. 3 shots total, one a day. No fun, but it took care of his infection. As far as dosing medicine... does he take a bottle or sippy cup? Try putting just a little milk with the medicine, and let him drink it down, then give him the rest of his milk (or juice, etc.) This worked with a bottle, but your son is older - but might be worth a try! Or, you can also try aiming the dosing syringe toward the cheek. Good luck mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yes a pennicillian shot. It works but hurts. Big needle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010