crib to bed transition...should I throw in the towel?

my sons naptime has passed because he isnt laying in his bed. He is contently playing, but isnt laying down. I've been in there a few times, even tried to lay down and encourage him to join me, I took him by the hand and put him on the bed, he just bounced right off and played. How long should I let this go on? If he doesnt nap he will be cranky. Should I throw in the towel and put him back in the crib? Or if he skips his nap...then oh well? He knows the bed is for sleep....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If there is anything going on, my daughter will not sleep. She went until 6 pm one night b/c we were out shopping with my mom...went to 2 different malls, and she had bags under her eyes and was stumbling all over. She just won't do it. If he's just quietly playing, maybe he will lay down on his own? If you keep going in there, maybe that is what he is waiting for....what if you lay him on the couch or your bed? Just a suggestion.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I was researching 9 month sleep regression the other day and I read that it can be better to wait until a child is about 3 years old before moving them to a big out of a crib, because they dont have the imagination or spacial awareness before this age that tell them that they have to stay in a bed without bars. Does that make sense?

The other option is if he is having two naps per day he might be ready to transition to 1 nap per day, between 1 and 2 years seems to be the average age for this, or maybe he is ready to drop the nap altogether and if he is happy without the nap then thats ok.
    cevine

Answer by cevine at 4:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• LADIES NEVERMIND!!! WE DID IT!!!!!! :o)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• glad it worked out! We're talking about making the leap- she's just getting too tall for the crib and we're having a second in july. She has a very strong personality so it will be a battle, but I'm hoping a consistant routine (something I suck at!) will be the key. what did you end up doing? just giving it more time?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• yes I just gave it more time. I checked on him, what felt like every 15 minutes LOL. I'd tell him to lay down, I went in there and laid down (thinking he might copy me), I read him a story, and every time I put him on the bed I told him "night night" or "time for bed"....after many attempts, I laid him on the bed once again, and that time he stayed there, content playing with his trains, laying down....I peeked in the room later on, he was still on the bed....and later on again....he was asleep! he was good for 3 hours. Since it went well we are trying for overnight. If it doesnt work, no biggie, we'll just do naps for now then overnight later. but maybe it'll work out
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010