No shoes inside?

I have decided that I don't want shoes to on my carpet at all, thinking that maybe it will somewhat decrease the disgusting stains on my cream-colored carpet. We have a large foyer with a shoe shelf very convenient to the front door.

DH says that keeping shoes off of the carpet won't change the stains at all (though he's QUITE guilty of tracking mud from the front door through the hallway, though our living room and into the master bedroom) and refuses to take his shoes off at the door.

What do YOU think? Do you keep shoes off of the carpet, or do you allow shoes?

christaberk

Asked by christaberk at 3:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No shoes in my house is the rule. We have a shoe rack by our door as well.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• No shoes in our house; I am kind of a germaphobe

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• only clean shoes. If I don't wear shoes in the house my back, hips, knees kill by the end of the day. consider buying shoes that are for in house only
    Anonymous

• No shoes.
    Anonymous

• well i just have every negative thing to say about taking my shoes off. im short so my pants always gets wet when im in the snow and so when i take my shoes off, i have to step on my wet pants and not to mention that all the water i step in...it flings up onto my upper legs and so i just hate taking my shoes off for the feeling of my pants getting my socks wet.

i usually cant go long with out shoes because my foot has an arch and it hurts when i take them off and walk on flat flooring.

so maybe just have an extra pair of "inside" shoes awaiting for him if he wants to do it that way. i also think its a habit too so he's got to be dedicated.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Sure, it feels great to pad around barefoot on carpet. Trouble is, oil from your bare feet rubs off onto the fibres. Dirt sticks to the oil, shortening the life of your carpet. So while it is kind to your floors to take your shoes off when you enter the house, leave your socks on to protect the carpet.
    Anonymous

• well sadly to say we try our best to keep stains and orders out of our homes but they always seem to find a way in lol. I hear what you are saying. Stain and light colered carpets don't mix and if not treated right away canl lead to bigger uglier stains. I try to wipe my fet on the mat in fron of the door and tajke my shoes off in the kitchen. I have a small apartment so when uwal in it's tile floor. dat waht i can walk on the carpwt with my socks and anything on my shoes would touch the kitchen floor which makes it easier to clean. If my shoes are stink i put it near the door and put baby power in them til im ready to wear them again to elimate the smell. But i do like what you do too
    Lele1987

Answer by Lele1987 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I totally agree with americansugar80
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We do both. My kids and DH really don't wanna wear shoes once they get in the house anyway. I swear they kick them off the second they hit the door lol, so it's not an issue here. (we have a bin by the front door for the shoes to be tossed into) But sometime we do wear em in the house which is okay, as long and no one tracks in wet or dirty shoes and they know mom will get their hiney for it if they do! Luckily we have just the one rug in our living room and the rest of our house is tile/wood flooring so i can sweep/mop up messes (and dog hair) easier.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I don't allow shoes in my house. When we moved in, it was brand new carpet and it still looks that way 2 years later (and my carpet cleaner has been broken!).

When people walk into my house, usually they automatically take their shoes off because they see shoes by the bench in the entry and they see my carpet and just assume they should. Sometimes they ask and I'll say, yes, if you don't mind and they never do.

6 yr old ds takes his shoes off at the front door, don't even have to say anything and same with dh. They know that anyone caught with shoes on will get a wap on the back of the head lol I don't want someone's shoes that have been in a nasty public restroom on my carpet where I live....yuck....will have a baby crawling around here soon enough.

If it's what you want, demand it :) It will become habit after awhile and yes, it does make a difference in how your carpet looks!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 3:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2010