Would you be willing to do this?

You and your husband both have good paying jobs. You have 2 children who since shortly after they were born were sent to daycare. Your children are alone for at least 2 hours after school, until you or your husband get home from work and often get into trouble you might not even know about. You complain that the single parent next door doesn't work and lives on welfare, your hard earned tax dollars. Which the most they probably get is food stamps since they get child support and maybe medicaid for the kids if absent parent doesn't have health insurance. Would you be willing to give up either you or your husbands job so that parent could work and you take care of the kids while that parent works? or even job share so that you or your husband are home for your children in the afternoon and can help with the single parents kids and they can do the same for you in the morning or vice versus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I would put my son in an after school program so they wouldn't be alone. Or if I thought the single stay at home mom was competent enough and was good with children, then I would see if she would be willing to watch my son for pay. No need to go meddling in other people's business.

Anonymous

• I am a SAHM and have offered to help my single mom neighbor many times with free daycare. She doesn't want to work. Her home is being forclosed on too. My husband was going to hire her to work three overnight shifts a week she would be paid for 40 hours of work making 18 an hour to start then moving up to 22 an hour. She would have full benefits immediately for her and her children. She didn't want to. I was willing to have her kids sleep here the three nights she worked for free and take them to school. She declined all the help and now she is losing her home and everything else. At 18 an hour she would have been able to pay her very low mortgage and lived. Some people lack common sense and won't take the help offered.
    Anonymous

• I would ask the neighbor to watch my children, as long as she was competent, for payment, of course. Other than that, either my husband or myself would change shifts, or something so that one of us was home with the kids. This is exactly what MY dh and myself have done ever since we had children. We have usually worked different shifts, and even then, there was an occasion that the kids (who were teens) were behaving in such a way that one of us ending up quitting a job so that they would not have the opportunity to get up to their shenanigans. It sucked that we had to do that, but my kids and their safety were more important than a paycheck. As a parent, you do what you have to do.

To anon 4:16, I would love to have that job, if it is still open! LOL!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• To anon 4:16, I would love to have that job, if it is still open! LOL!!

I was thinking the exact same thing!
    Anonymous

• THIS JUST GOES TO PROVE THAT WEATHER YOUR A STAY AT HOME MOM OR WORKING MOM ITS HARD. KIDS CHANGE EVERYTHING. ITS JUST TOO BAD THE THE KIDS ARE NOT THE ONES VOTING, AND WE AS MOMS ARE STILL SO HARD ON EACH OTHER REGARDLESS OF OUR CHOICES----THE CHOICES ARE NEVER EASY.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If families went back to only one working parent wouldn't our country be better off? Only one parent working means more jobs to go around. Even if you have single parents wouldn't it be better to have more work share type programs in our businesses? Not to mention solving a big problem in our country, out of control children. This problem with our children has been directly linked to the fact more and more families have both parents working. I'm not a conservative, I'm a liberal. I do not believe in welfare, but see a really big problem trying to get people off welfare when minimum wage jobs are less than what welfare pays. What incentive is there to get off welfare when it pays more than a job that is double what minimum wage would be?
    Anonymous

• It is never a good thing for your kids to be home alone unless they are over 18, so if you can work part time until that happens you should. You can live off of one income-my husband and I are doing it-going on five yrs now. Our youngest will start school next year and I intend to get a part time job to earn extra income. Check out 1/2 price living by ellie kay, maybe a little suze ormon
    Anonymous

• We did the opposite shift Tango until our kids were older (oldest 13). Also, we used after school, extended day the 2-3 days I worked. I did job share. My kids were commuter students, so when I wasn't working, I was driving the 70 mile round trip carpool, so I was not home much during after school hours. Not much more I could have done, imo-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010