Is it normal for a ten year old to constantly follow you around the house

This kid will follow you around the house all day and talk like a baby. If you are in a single room and he's in the living room watching tv he will go back and forth between the bedrom and the living room. Or he'll stand over you watching your every move. He dosn't attend school either. He also dosn't go out side and play like a normal child. You have to tell this kid to do everything from brush his teeth to batheing on a daily basis, or just to take out the trash. He was told to go out side one day and find friends to play with. He goes out side and sits on a curb? This kid is 10 years old what is the problem. I am not his parent I am talking about my boyfriends child whom isn't the biological father but decided to take responsability for his ex girlfriends grand child from a prior relashionship. Me and my boyfriend live together and I am super annoyed with this kids behavior and him not attending school.

jessy541

Asked by jessy541 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Honey, I have a ss who will be 10 in February. He is in Public School and still behaves this same way you're describing. It drives me up a wall crazy! He cannot let his dad leave a room he is in w/out asking where he is. Keeping in mind his 2 siblings plus me are in the room with him, it's only his dad he cares to share info with and the rest of us are chop liver(lol). He also has to be told- by his dad- when to shower, brush teeth, and eat!!! My point is, he has seen a therapist, she says he's simply a sensitive child and recommends more interaction with men to grow into his manly adult stage properly(eyes rolling). His speech sounds like that of a 5 yr old(his mom and dad like to ignore that), and he honestly never has playdates with any of his friends from school. I think his isolation and parental hovering is what's causing this sort of behavior.
    Anonymous

• my first question is " why isn't he in school ? " home school or what...... isn't it the law he should be in 3rd grade
    and that was very nice of your bf to take the responsibility of a child that wasn't his..
    maybe the boy is shy doesn't know anybody around your neighborhood. or maybe he has a hard time making friends due to moving around .. do you have full custody ?... maybe there's issues at home ( the other home ) where he wasn't told what to do on a daily basis(bathe, brush teeth, comb hair) at 10 he should of picked these things up by now. my 6 yr old tells me in the morning and at night when she brushes her teeth.
    you should figure out what was going on at the other house or talk to his dr.. maybe autism / adhd ?

I'm not a person who recommends add / adhd.. i personally think that the doctors are giving way to many kids this diagnosis for being a normal and/or a hyper child.
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 4:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Thanks ladies for commenting on my situation. But yeah....this is crazy, because my boyfriend isn't the biological father of this child he cannot legaly put the kid in school. Here's the kicker... this childs mother isn't taking any responsibility for her own child so she left the kid with the granmother whom is my boyfriends ex. Now the grandmother really dosn't want anything to do with this child either she'd rather dump him off on my boyfriend but she dosen't want to give any one legal rights for this kid since she really wants nothing to do with him either. She refuses to put him in school herself. So guess what? this kid is just sitting around the house doing nothing but watching T.V. all day and playing video games. That's what he does when he's over at our house. There's not a lot I am able to do with him. I am an adult with a life and unfortunately I do not have all day to home school him or constantly watch him all d
    jessy541

Answer by jessy541 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That sucks for you. Maybe theres some sort of child support money you could get from mom or dad to supplement and provide some sort of stimulation for him. I'm not sure you "have" to be the childs legal guardian to enroll him in school- check on that one.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you are allowed to keep a kid out of school unless they are home schooled.

It doesn't sound like the kind of relationship I would stay in. I put a high priority on school and if my "boyfriend" wasn't going to insist that his child be in school I certainly would want to marry him and have kids with him. For me that would be a deal breaker right there and then.

Anonymous

• Children have to be put into school. If the mother and grandmother refuse to take responsibility for the child, then it is your boyfriend that needs to call social services. If he won't, then you should. This child deserves to be in a home where he can grow up and become a contributing member of society. At this point, this child probably cannot read more than at a first grade level. He should be in 5th grade by now. Yes, calling social services will be hard, but if your boyfriend is committed to this child, then he can work with social services to become his foster/adoptive parent. Would you want this for your child?
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 3:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010