Isn't praying another form of meditation?

It seems as though those who take the tme to pray, and "converse" with their God, are doing some of the same things that others do when we meditate. It's taking time to be "still" and clear your mind and breathe and listen, right?
So, if you hear someone doesn't believe in a God, yet meditates every day, and take that time to be "still", isn't this something you can relate too and see how it's just as beneficial as praying?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes, meditation is a form of prayers and those that don't believe in prayer or God can related to what many Christians do and why we pray.
    Anonymous

• oh but there might be a difference, many non Christians may not meditate on the New Testament like I do.
    Anonymous

• Yes
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i agree, it is. it makes them closer to "god" while people who meditate tend to look for enlightenment on this plane.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• uhmmmm i dunno. I think meditation is a form of getting the entire body and brain, emotions to relax focusing on calming thoughts and sound. To me for me prayer is saying either silently or outloud words in phrases or sentences to God as praise or thanks or requests.

Praying is hard for me but spontaneously mediating and doing slow breathing for focusing and calmness comes easy. I hardly ever say prayers out loud in front of others, even in church I say them silently. Weird I know.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• While there may be meditation in prayer, there is no prayer in meditation. Webster says the prayer is.."To address God with adoration, confession, supplications, or thanksgiving." There is a big difference in me being my own god or truly having faith in a higher power for help and guidance. I don't mean this as a slam. We just having different ways of looking at the meaning of life. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 4:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "There is a big difference in me being my own god or truly having faith in a higher power for help and guidance"

Really, there is a BIG difference? How so? If I believe, truly, that the divine lives within ME, and I look within for guidance and love and help, how is this that different?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "If you hear someone doesn't believe in God, yet takes that time to be still, isn't this something you can relate to and see how it is just as beneficial as praying."

If this person does not believe in God, they are totally depending on themselves for the answers. God can work inside me in the form of thoughts and ideas for the solutions I need. He can also work externally. Today an answer came for our family in the form of a stranger. We felt that God had brought divine intervention. We had no idea now to solve the problem. The divine may dwell withing me but I am not the divine. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 5:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "While there may be meditation in prayer, there is no prayer in meditation. Webster says the prayer is.."To address God with adoration, confession, supplications, or thanksgiving."

I agree that there is a difference. I used to meditate before I was a Christian and it was an entirely different experience and pursuit with a different goal. When people practice meditation it is an emptying of your mind, so you can get into a calm state of either awareness or peace.

Prayer is a conversation, you are talking to God. Christians do meditate on Scripture, but again it is not the same thing, it is a focused study. That is like saying "meditation and talking on the phone are similar."

I guess they are both acts people practice to bring them peace, but that is about as similar as they get. IMO.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yes I think of meditation as silent prayer.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010