Where does our "energy" go when we cease?

I have heard it argued that since all living organisms possess energy, it must therefore be passed on when we cease.

I have also heard it argued that it is not just a physical energy, but a spiritual energy. If this is true, then is it the spirit of a potato that lights the bulb?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think physical energy and spiritual energy go hand in hand, so if a potatoe has "sprititual" energy, then yes, part of it lights the bulb. But how do we define "spiritual energy"?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Good question. I do believe that our spirts have energy. Sometimes they are still here after the body has passed on.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I dont think they are seperate and I think when we pass and our lives are done that energy joins the Universe to continue on doing whatever it needs to do.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I like the idea of biological matter. I like what Mufasa said in The Lion King (lmao): When we die, our bodies become the grass. The antelope eat the grass. We eat the antelope. It's all a part of the great circle of life.

The biological energy is passed on to the nutrients and soil and grass, and then into the stomachs of the animals that eat the grass, and then eventually we eat the animals. Now let's sing Kumbaya and eat marshmallows.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Marshmallows?

do they contain energy?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• yes, sugar. its short-lived energy...after the crash, you end up wanting more. and usually accompanied by chocolate, which in its purest form is organic..so that brings us back to mufasa.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Scientifically what happens to energy since it can neither be created or destroyed? Was your table always a table? Or was it once a tree, that was once a seed that was nourished from sunlight, soil, and water? And where did the soil and water come from? Is it possible that the soil that nourished the tree that made the table was once an animal that laid there, died and decomposed? And what will happen to the table in years to come? Will in not disinigrate back into the earth and become the soil that will one day nourish something else?

So, things never really dissapear they are altered. Certainly even the very molecules in your OWN body were not always YOURS but came from somewhere, and they will GO somehwere as well. And it is my beleif that this has always been and will always be..
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Hazeldove is really into the whole idea of energy. I think she has some journal posts about it.

I love organic dark chocolate. Marshmallows have energy because they have calories, right? I saw the Lion King on ice yesterday; skaters in fuzzy animal unitards have energy.

Anyways, I believe my spirit will go be with the Lord and my body will rot (which is an interesting process). Then one day my body will be resurrected and glorified.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• rotfl @ hairy nazi :P
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Darn it, I am dieting and cinnamon mentioned dark chocolate. Drat !!! That sort of energy will end up right on my big butt.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010