Do you agree or disagree with this?

"Belief in God has consequences; if one believes in God, then one must make a decision either to follow him or to oppose him. Anyone who believes that Christianity is true must either commit themselves to living out their faith, or set themselves in opposition to God. This choice can be hard to face, but by denying Christianity one can avoid having to face it. Atheism, then, offers an easy way out for those unable to deal with the reality of life with God.

Some think that this view of atheism is correct, that atheists really are consciously aware of the existence of God but choose to rebel against him by professing unbelief. This is not my view. My point here is just that if Christianity can be rejected as irrational simply because some people find it comforting, then the same must be true of atheism. And if atheism cannot be dismissed in this way, as the atheist will surely hold, then neither can Christianity."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I get it...my belief in God is just as much a psychological crutch as atheism is to those who do not believe, right? Interesting. Being that I don't believe either of those is true, I completely agree and I can see the logic here. I think I might have to save this one.
    Anonymous

• I think a belief in a God can be a great source of comfort and joy, for many. WHen this comfort and joy resonates in all that the person does, and their faith is visible through their acts and words...then I say more power to them! God is great!
    It's the hate, and anger and judmgental attitudes that I don't like and make me question that persons' faith AND their God.
    My "non" belief in God brings me peace, and I hope that peace is visible to others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• any and all religious beliefs are simply that- they are the opinion of an individual, which entitles them to either face, accept, deny, fear, live in oppression, or justify rash decisions based on their "faith", obviating the reality of another persons beliefs.

to each his own.

however, when you quote scripture from a christian holy book, combining it with the rationalization of their faith- the outcome can be only one thing, which is either side of the fence taking higher ground in an effort of "prove" which can not be proven.
    the existence of god/gods/goddess can not be proven, nor can it be disproved. the same can be equated to, say, ferries- but it doesn't seem all that likely, does it?

I would simply leave well enough alone were my rational mind not reeling at the depths to which religion grips humanity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Here is my question about the person who was quoted- what about people like me? I live a moral life, I give to charity, I happen to live my life in a manner that is in accordance with the 10 commandments so far as how to treat others and how to behave (Just not the parts about how and who to worship) The only thing that separates me from a good Christian is that I don't believe in God and attend church. But I do these things not because my deity says so, but because it is how I choose to live. It's not a matter of an easy way out.
    The quote annoys me because it implies not only a closed minded attitude due to the inablilty to conceive of the idea that some people really and truly do not believe, but that an atheist is an immoral person who cannot adhere to the rules and guidelines set forth by "God" and therefore chooses not to believe to avoid guilt. This is simply not so- most atheists I know are as moral as the Christians.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 5:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• mandaday...that was quoted from an article I found on God as a "crutch" as the other anon said here....I've heard that over and over from atheists and to sum it up - that Christians are weak-minded and can't handle the realities of life without such a crutch. The man who wrote the article is Christian, and he says clearly that he doesn't hold the beliefs about atheists that you say are implied here (neither do I for the record), he's just trying to make the point that the "crutch" argument can be used either way and does not prove the non-existence of God just as the reverse doesn't prove the existence...the implications of saying that about either side are rather nasty, which is my point really after reading some answers to another posts here today. I was not always Christian and not much changed as far as how morally I lived life from before I converted to afterwards either, so I understand and agree with what you're saying.
    Anonymous

• oh..i'm confused now.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree and disagree. I think that for some it is a consiouse choice to find their respective belief, one may make the choice to embrace it, another to turn away. This example is however limiting in the aspect that it has lumped ALL atheists in together in the beleife that they are ALL aware of God and then have therefor decided to oppose him vs. believe. WHile this may be the case for some, it certainely cannot be the case for all.

One could very well say that all Christians would have therefor discovered that God did not exist and that while some decided to follow that reality, others would have opposed it by joining Christianity.

All belief is deeply personal. People choose their paths for variouse reasons but every end to the road carries both acceptance and denial whether Atheist, Christian, Hindu, Pagan, etc.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "All belief is deeply personal. People choose their paths for variouse reasons but every end to the road carries both acceptance and denial whether Atheist, Christian, Hindu, Pagan, etc."

I agree with that ethans_momma. (OP)
    Anonymous

• I think for my teen daughter, who claims to be an atheist even though she was raised in a Christian church, is that she is confused because in school they are teaching about all the different religions in the world and she just can't figure out which one is the "right" or "true" one, no matter how she's been raised. I think claiming to be an atheist is her way of calling a sort of 'time out' away from religion so she can figure it all out for herself and decide in what she truly believes.
    Anonymous

• Its never about being moral but about do you love God, do you know Him? Does He KNOW you?
    Without God, the ability to loving others like He does is impossible.

You can be a charity giver all you want, a "good" person with "good" morals but without LOVE , HIS LOVE it means nothing.

The unforgivable sin is unbelief which blasphemies the Holy Spirit.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010