Suggestions please,ADHD medication and weight loss...

My dd has been taking Vyvance with much success aside from irritation and weight loss. The weight loss had become so bad that I had her stop taking it over Christmas vacation. I am taking her back to the doc asap but wanted any suggestions about things that can be done if anything. I had heared that there is something out there to increase appitite,is that true? I really don't want to have to take her off the meds altogether,she has been doing sooo well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son is also on Vyvnase 30 mg. He does not eat much while the medication is in effect but he eats at night time, My suggestion is have her eat breakfast before the medicine kicks in. My son's doctor told me that as long as my son eats one good meal that he is fine. My son has lost weight about 15 lbs but he also is very physically active, plays basketball, and runs. Again, make sure she eats a good breakfast before the meds and eats after they wear off, and she will be fine. This is what my sons doctor told me to do with my son.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Thanks,That is exactly what we were doing. She would eat breakfast,not lunch and late at night she would have something but was pretty darn picky about it. She has lost between 15-20lbs and this is a girl who was thin to start with. I am getting her to the doctor soon but I am afraid that if she contiunes this loss we won't be able to keep her on it.
    Anonymous

• I hope that medication was a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My son is on 70 mg of Vyvanse and has NO problem eating. He did on other meds. I had to make sure he ate a good breakfast before taking his meds and try to get him to eat smaller meals throughout the day, then a good dinner after his meds wore off. Also, he drank 2 Pediasure's or Nutrakids a day to help out. I can tell you that those special diets don't always work. And my friends kids are on Fish Oil and it didn't work, they had to be put on meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• OP, part of the problem may be that she is to picky. She needs to eat more calories then she is burning during the day. Does she play sports, if so she is burning alot of calories. This is a large part of the reason my son has lost weight.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010