Is it a problem that my 1 year old doesn't say any words?

She babbles all the time and she has said dada a few times, but she hasn't said mama in a meaningful way at all. Everyone says shes autistic or something but she doesn't have any of the signs at all. Even her ped thinks it's silly that everyone says she's autistic. She just doesn't seem interested in talking at all. When should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, thats fine. Some kids talk at one and some dont. I seriously doubt she is autistic. If she still isnt talking when she is 15-17 months than I would start worrying. I dont think you have anything to worry about, and im sure your doctor would tell you the same.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• no give it time and a few years my boys are 26mo and don't have much of a vocabulary but understand just fine, enjoy the queit
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• There is no set time children should talk. My Son will be 2 in Feb and is just starting to use words daily. Just keep your pediatritian updated at checkups with her progress and he/she will tell you when to worry.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• How many months is she? If she is only 12-13 months I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Listen very closely to her babbles... dose she tend to use the same sounds for things? It might not be the actual word but if a sound always has the same meaning... it counts as a word. For example, for a long time my son would say "Ma!" but he meant "up" it always sounded the same and had meaning so it counted as a word.
    Word on vocabulary by teaching sign language as well as reading frequently and when you do everyday things talk and label everything... like lets put on your red socks and now lets put on your brown shoe on your foot. After awhile they make those connections. If she points and wants something like her milk, ask... "milk? do you want you milk" here is your milk." saying this over and over helps her learn it has a name.
    By 15 months she should have at least 3 words and at 18 months 6 words.
    My son has 35+ words at 17m
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You can always call Early Intervention and have a speech/language evaluation done. We did this for one of the boys at one year in conjunction with having his hearing tested. All turned out to be fine but one thing I did learn was that if a child makes the same sound consistently for something, it counts as a word so listen closely to your little one!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If by 18 months she still doesn't have 10 to 20 words that she uses meaningfully (i.e. they may not sound like the real word but she uses them consistently), then I'd talk with your doctor and/or Early Intervention. My son started EI at 18 months since he had no words at that point. It's a great program and he's made tremendous progress in the year he's been in it. I wouldn't wait much past 18 months as then they start to get behind their peers making learning social skills a bit more difficult. I know people that do wait but we chose not to and I don't regret the decision.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• She is fine! My daughter didn't start talking much until after 2 years old. I wasn't worried, I knew she understood me, she just had no interest in talking.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 7:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2010