Do you ever feed your child "cleaner" foods to avoid

the big mess? The floor, the high chair, the toddler all get terribly messy. My kid won't let me feed her, and she plays with her food more than she eats it. Sometimes I feel like I pick cleaner type foods so I don't have to spend forever cleaning up afterwards. Am I the only one who does this? Now mind you, I still feed her very healthy things: grilled chicken, turkey, all kinds of beans, cheeses and steamed veggies with brown rices and whole grain breads and pastas. I just try to stay away from red sauces or very saucy things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have twins so we definitely went through phases of "clean foods" because I didn't want to deal with the mess but as they got better with forks and spoons, I stopped worrying about it so much.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That's how they explore their foods is by playing with it. As adults do, they want to know what they're eating before they eat it. Though we're more adventerous then toddlers are, so we'll trust a friend when we blindly eat off their plate.

At the time my son started on table foods we lived in a 850-900 sq. ft. two bedroom apartment. We had a galley kitchen, so there wasn't anywhere to put the highchair. Therefore I had to put it in our living room where there was carpet. I fed him "cleaner" foods as I had no desire to clean speghetti sauce out of the carpet. When we moved into our new house I was hesitant, even though there was plenty of room in the kitchen for his highchair. I had no desire to clean up speghetti, chili, or any type of sauce. However, I knew for his benefit it was better that he explored all foods. So I gave it to his and surprisingly he didn't make a huge mess. He rarely throws food everywhere.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Hehehehe. Yes! Our idiot landlord put carpet in the dining room...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Most times, yes, but if I'm feeling energetic then I used to strip them down to their diapers (or underpants), lay out cut-open garbage bags under their chairs, and let them enjoy. Of course, I gave them small amounts so it wouldn't be a pig-fest....lol.
    When they were done, I could wipe off any large chunks with an old towel or paper towel onto the garbage bags and then plop them right into the tub.
    To clean up, I would just swipe any large mess from the table and chairs onto the garbage bags, fold/roll up the garbage bags, and toss them into the trash.
    My kids were allergic to the acidicy in spaghetti sauce so they could never eat it, but I gave them plenty of other foods to have fun with and eat.
    Most of the time, though, I kept it clean because I didn't have time for all of that, so it was a rare treat for them when I did it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yup. My rule was no "condiments" (i.e. syrup, mustard, ketchup, etc) until my son used a fork! Unless he shows a definite preference, I still avoid tomato sauce unless we're close to bathtime! Sounded pretty reasonable to me.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I'd say you're a smart momma! LOL! I avoid messes any chance I get! As long as they're are getting a healthy meal, thats all that counts! You're not alone! ;)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I did when they were younger. I still do now kind of, we don't do daily baths because of sensitive skin, so on nights that are non-bath nights, I won't make spaghetti, tuna casserole (tuna stinks, lol), BBQ, anything terribly messy. But on bath nights it's a free-for-all, lol! It's never been because of the house clean up, but the kid clean up. I was more lenient by the time I got to baby #4 though, lol!
    Anonymous

• yes...LOL They eat plenty of messy stuff but if I am not in the mood I will pick cleaner stuff:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Oh god yes! My daughter used to scoop food up with the spoon, and somehow manage to dump it on her lap EVERY TIME on the way to her mouth. She finally got the hang of it, and now I don't have many restrictions regarding mess...Except, no spaghetti in public, I just feel bad for the ppl who have to clean it up!!!
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 11:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2010